E-M:/ Michigan residents drink rBGH Milk.

Title:

rBGH has been banned in every industrialized nation in the world except for the
United States.

In Michigan Cows treated with rBGH often develop mastitis, an inflammation of the udder. The fact is I do not care to drink this milk or have my family drink milk from a cow that is fighting an infection, no mater how long the traces of puss in my milk has been pasteurized.
If the public does not demand labeling for GMO'S and GMO derived products we will allow large corporations, and complicit state departments and universities to remove food options one at a time, until eventualy "Big Mother" (not big brother) will be able to say's "just shut up and eat your food", because are options will be gone or unafordable. If this is of concern to you let your elected officials know and work for positive change, and public oversight of GMO technology.

Samuel DeFazio
Praxis
2723 116th Ave
Allegan, MI  49010 269-673-2793

GENETICALLY MODIFYING CONSUMER RIGHTS

Monsanto is suing Portland, Maine-based Oakhurst Dairy for labeling their
milk "Our Farmers' Pledge: No Artificial Growth Hormones." According to
Monsanto, manufacturer of the genetically engineered recombinant Bovine
Growth Hormone (known as rBGH or rBST), Oakhurst Dairy does not have the
right to let its customers know whether its milk is laced with genetically
engineered hormones. Oakhurst says they've been labeling their products like this for four years, in response to consumer demand. Although rBGH has been banned in every industrialized nation in the world except for the United States, Monsanto continues to claim that rBGH-derived milk is no different from the natural stuff, despite documentation that rBGH milk contains substantially higher levels of a potent cancer tumor promoter called IGF-1.

Monsanto sued two dairies and threatened several thousand retailers in 1994
for labeling or advertising milk and dairy products as "rBGH-free." Despite
Monsanto's intimidation tactics, more than 10% of U.S. milk is currently
labeled as "rBGH-free," while sales of organic milk and dairy products
(which prohibit rBGH) are booming. In recent months a Monsanto-funded front
group, the Center for Consumer Freedom, has launched a smear campaign
against organic dairies, including Organic Valley, claiming they are
defrauding consumers.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/rbgh/071303_rbgh.cfm
 For a full discussion on the rBGH controversy, see the rBGH section on the
OCA website:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/rbghlink.html