From: William Tobler [mailto:williamtobler@critterswoods.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 12:42 PM
To: Anne M. Woiwode; Enviro-Mich
Subject: RE: E-M:/ Vreba-Hoff statement misleads the public

Enviro-Mich message from "William Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

"Reporters are required to report what they found and what people said,
even if the comments sometimes are not defensible."

This is fine, but there is no reason why the reporter cannot go on to
provide additional information on the non-defensible comment so that an
uninformed reader can become informed.  To not do this is misinforming
the public, and I see an awful lot of this.  I am not familiar with nor
commenting (necessarily) upon Christoff's article, but nevertheless, I
see an awful lot of this.  Good articles are not just "he said/she
said" dialogs.

<anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org>
---

> I want to echo David Holtz's comments and compliment the Free Press
and
> particularly Chris Christoff on his coverage of this issue.  Having
read
> hundreds of articles on this topic from all over the country, I think
> that Chris did a better job of explaining clearly, accurately and
> without bias the way CAFOs work, the impact they are having and the
> comments of people about the issues.  After years of working on this
> issue in Michigan and trying to get the major news outlets in
> Southeastern Michigan to pay attention to this issue, we had long
heard
> the excuse that the reporter couldn't sell the story to the editor,
and
> so outside of Free Press Editorial writer Barb Arrigo's editorials
about
> this topic there was no one looking to cover this chilling story. I
know
> that Chris spent almost two months researching this issue, and in the
> way of an exceptional investigative reporter kept opening new doors on
> information and walking through them, expanding the scope of the
report,
> talking to everyone and visiting the countryside to see the issue for
> himself.  This is a rare and extremely commendable feat for a reporter
> in a modern newspaper.
>
> Regarding the obnoxious statements made and reported in the story,
> several E-M writers have already disputed the claims of Vreba Hoff and
> others.  One thing that I don't think has been pointed out is that
> despite the fine words from Steve Vanderhoff, the various Vreba Hoff
and
> Vreba Hoff associated operations in the Lenawee County/Hillsdale
County
> area have had numerous violations, including some this year.  The
> Environmentally Concerned Citizens of South Central Michigan maintain
an
> exceptional website (http://www.nocafos.org/news.htm) documenting the
> now 44 violations of the Clean Water Act which have been identified by
> the DEQ during the past few years at CAFOs in that area.  Of those on
> the ECCSCM list, 5 of the 10 the polluting dairies were built by Vreba
> Hoff Dairy Development LLC and some are still operated under the Vreba
> Hoff name.  32 of the violations documented in the area have been
caused
> by these operations (Vander Hoff Haley Dairy - 4; New Flevo - 2;
Jelsma
> Mericam - 7; Vreba Hoff 1 - 9; and Vreba Hoff 2 - 10).  18 of those
> violations have occurred since February 1, 2003.
>
> Perhaps Mr. Vander Hoff in fact does really wish not to pollute the
> environment, as he says, but if that is the case then he and the Vreba
> Hoff Development LLC should immediately halt their recruitment efforts
> in the Netherlands and elsewhere to bring more people to Michigan,
Ohio
> and Indiana to build more CAFOS with the same flawed designs that have
> too little land to spread waste on and which have come here to take
> advantage of relatively lenient environmental laws and farm subsidies.
> I have posted extensive information on Vreba Hoff to Enviro-Mich
before,
> and won't repeat it here (go into the Enviro-Mich archives, available
by
> clicking the link at the bottom of this message), so I won't repeat
that
> here.
>
> Reporters are required to report what they found and what people said,
> even if the comments sometimes are not defensible.  Part of the
> experience of the press here is that it is critical for us to hold
> accountable those who think they can get away with making
misstatements
> to the press, and this discussion on Enviro-Mich shows the many ways
in
> which these folks need to be held accountable.
>
> Anne Woiwode, Director
> Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
> 109 East Grand River Avenue,  Lansing, MI  48906
> ph: 517-484-2372 fx: 517-484-3108 e: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
> website:  http://michigan.sierraclub.org

Press

--