E-M:/ Sibley/King road prairies

Enviro-Mich message from "Andrew Hartz" <Hartza@michigan.gov>

Jack:
For your info the DEQ has entered into a conservation easement with the
landowner, Sam Danou, who holds 75 acres at the SW corner of King and
Telegraph roads. This area and the area to the north of King road is
commonly called the King road prairie.  The DEQ negotiated to accept 20
acres of the 75 acres at this parcel into a perpetual conservation
easement. The 20 acre easement contains both prairie and wetland.  Many
of the plant species that are in the easement area are listed as
threatened or endangered. The agreement also called for the management
of the site including two prescribed burns that have occurred over the
past two springs by Nature Conservancy staff, girdling of cottonwood
trees and the spraying of purple loosestrife and Phragmities colonies.
On his own the landowner has cleared woody vegetation from the
non-easement prairie areas.   So yes we are doing what we can within the
current framework of the applicable laws. I am very encouraged to see an
increasing awareness of these globally imperiled resources, Lakeplain
Prairie. ...andy

Andrew J. Hartz
Wayne & Eastern Macomb County Field Representative
Geological and Land Management Division
38980 West Seven Mile Road
Livonia MI 48152
734-953-0243  FAX