E-M:/ Conservation Summit Southeast Michigan Regional Meeting

Conservation Summit - Final Southeast Michigan Regional Meeting

Interested in environmental and conservation policy in Michigan?  Come to the Conservation Summit regional meetings and then attend the big CONSERVATION SUMMIT 2003 at the Kellogg Center in East Lansing on September 4.

The next (and final) regional meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, August 5, 2003 from 6:00 - 8:00 pm at the U of M Dearborn Environmental Interpretive Center (4901 Evergreen Rd., Dearborn - south of Ford Road, one mile west of Southfield Expressway (313) 593-5338).

Through this process, we will be constructing and shaping an agenda for Michigan's future and we want to bring every member of Michigan's environmental and conservation community together around a common, focused agenda for positive change.

OBJECTIVES:  The Conservation Summit identifies issues and policy changes needed to conserve Michigan's natural resources in these fiscally challenging times. We hope to refine the prior work through reviewing the list of proposed issues and focusing our collective efforts on moving agenda items forward.  Our goal is a positive experience that concentrates on identifying areas of agreement, and setting aside areas where consensus cannot be reached.

The Agenda crafted in 2001 received the approval of many conservation and environmental organizations across the state.  We seek to continually review and improve the process in order to become more successful in the future.

REGIONAL MEETINGS: Regional Meetings around the state will allow individuals and organizations to have an early input in the Agenda for 2004. A final document will be finalized at the Summit on September 4, 2003.

TIMELINES:

Regional Meetings - April 11, 2003 through August 5, 2003 - we have completed 4 regional meetings so far.
Final draft for organization review - August 15, 2003
Conservation Summit - September 4, 2003
Final document sent to participants for endorsements - September 22,
2003
Endorsement period ends - October 30, 2003
Formatting / Final Printing - November 30, 2003

GROUND RULES:

1. At all meetings, the discussion will remain positive focusing on
areas of agreement.  Parties may raise other issues, but if broad
consensus does not exist for a particular issue or position it will not
be included in the final document.

2. All participants will respect the diverse views that exist throughout
the state and listen to what other participants have to say.  Any
critique should be focused on the policy being discussed.

3. All efforts will be made to give organizations sufficient time to
review proposed documents prior to the September 4, 2003 meeting
to avoid question or concerns being raised during the endorsement
process.

4. The issue advocacy addressed in the Summit will remain within the
scope of permitted activities of charitable tax-exempt entities. For more information, visit www.MichiganLCV.org and click on "Issues."
Please join us.

James Clift
Michigan Environmental Council