E-M:/ DTE violation in Wisconson

If my memory serves me correctly, this is the Midwest
Energy Terminal in Superior Wisconson owned by
Detroit Edison and/or DTE Energy....this is the facility
that loads western low sulfur coal aboard boats for
transport to Detroit Edison's power plants....

=======

                  U.S. EPA REGION 5 NEWS RELEASE
                 ------------------------------

CONTACT: William Omohundro, (312) 353-8254

For Immediate Release
No. 03-OPA121

EPA Cites Midwest Energy for Clean-Air Violations

CHICAGO (Aug. 4, 2003) -- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 5
has cited Midwest Energy Resources Co. for alleged clean-air violations at
the company's coal transfer facility, West Winter Street, Superior, Wis.

EPA alleges that Midwest Energy violated conditions of its federally
enforceable state operating permit related to baghouses and scrubbers
designed to control coal-dust emissions from the facility.

These are preliminary findings of violations.  To resolve them, EPA may
issue a compliance order, assess an administrative penalty or bring suit
against the company.  Midwest Energy has 30 days from receipt of the
notice to request a meeting with EPA to discuss the allegations and how to
resolve them.

"EPA's mission is to protect public health and the environment," said
Region 5 Administrator Thomas V. Skinner.  "We will take whatever steps
are needed to ensure compliance with the Clean Air Act."

Inhaling high concentrations of coal dust can affect children, the elderly
and people with heart and lung diseases the most.

                          # # #

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com