From: Bonnie Shupe <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>
To: <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>; <jaruzel@tds.net>
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Interior wetlands

Enviro-Mich message from "Bonnie Shupe" <BONNIES@cannontwp.org>

I have a question about this because we're working on putting together a
wetland ordinance right now.  Does anyone know if we can put something like
this in a local ordinance and have it be enforceable?  Can we put in a
regulation about not cutting wetland vegetation?  And if we do, do we have
to make exceptions for the yucky stuff like purple loosestrife?  If there
are any attorneys out there in EM land or wetland experts, please advise.
Bonnie

Bonnie L. Shupe
Cannon Township Clerk and Watershed Administrator
6878 Belding Road NE
Rockford, MI 49341
(616) 874-6966
(616) 874-8940 (fax)
e-mail: bonnies@cannontwp.org
web site: www.cannontwp.org

>>> "Luanne Jaruzel" <jaruzel@tds.net> 08/22 2:25 PM >>>
My neighbor cut all the cattails and brush in a wetland area of about 1
acres size last year.  I called the DEQ office and was told he can do
anything he wanted to the vegetation and they didn't regulate it.  As long
as he wasn't filling in.  This wetland wsa just across the road and adjacent
to a lake (approx. 12 acres lake.)  They don't seem to understand that - in
my mind - the grasses and other material growing in the wetland is necessary
for wildlife etc.  All our kingfishers disappeared after he did this.  They
used to gather in the small trees that were in this area.  It is sad.
Luanne Jaruzel
Millington Townshipee