Re: E-M:/ Dove hunting deserves a shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from "David Pizzuti" -------------------------------------------------------------------------

To whom it may concern-

Talk about extremist propaganda!  This is not a threat to the "right" to hunt game birds; only the ability to hunt mourning doves.

This issue of Mourning Doves as a game species for sport hunting is nothing new to the Midwest.  It was addressed in 1977 by the Ohio Court of Appeals in the case State ex rel. Hyter v. Teter (368 N.E.2d 854(1977)).  The underlying issues remain the same, as do the fundamental legal aspects.  That Court found that Mourning Doves were by definition a "non-game" species and as such were not subject to legal sport hunting in Ohio.  In the process the Ohio Court did not find that any hunter's "rights" were infringed upon.  To the contrary, they upheld the rights of Ohio citizens not to have Mourning Doves hunted.  Ultimately, it is up to the legislative process to provide the basis for that legal definition.  (The Ohio Legislature did later amend the game statute to include Mourning Doves.)

The point is, however, there are opposing viewpoints as to whether Mourning Doves are a species of song birds or game birds and it is up to the Legislature to decide.  There is NO need to jam your personal agenda down our throats!  People are capable of deciding for themselves without your fear inspiring, "threatened rights" rhetoric.

Bottom line: it is unfair and irresponsible to lable persons with alternative viewpoints as "extreamist and propagandist" spreading "common lies and exaggerations."

Back off a little bit.

David Pizzuti

MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month. ============================================================== ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/ Postings to: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net For info, send email to majordomo@great-lakes.net with a one-line message body of "info enviro-mich" ==============================================================