E-M:/ Portage River death clarification

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne M. Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org>

An E-M subscriber pointed out that the information in my post yesterday
regarding the death of a woman from a lung infection after she inhaled
water from the Portage River in the course of a car accident did not
give support to a causal link between the contaminated river water and
the death.  While Kalamazoo County officials are investigating this
incident and more light will no doubt be shed, I probably should have
included the following sentence from one of the articles in the
Vicksburg Commercial Express:

"Last week a woman's death was blamed on bacteria in the mucky river
bottom that got into her lungs following a car accident on "TS" Avenue."

Presumably no conclusions can be definitive until a full investigation
has occurred, but the articles indicate that the woman's care givers
concluded the contaminated water led to the infection that killed her.
I'll try to post any additional information as it is available.

Anne Woiwode

Anne Woiwode, Director
Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter
109 East Grand River Avenue,  Lansing, MI  48906
ph: 517-484-2372 fx: 517-484-3108 e: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org
website:  http://michigan.sierraclub.org