E-M:/ Great Michigan Enviro Mapping Resources

EMers,

The site below is truly a goldmine for journalists, researchers, teachers and activists. If you want to learn about land use patterns in your Michigan County and compare the changes from circa 1800 to more recent times (1978 and/or 1992), go to the following site and click your county:

http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mgdl/?rel=ext&action=cext

Actually see carefully constructed maps (and learn more about) what available data exists for your county on minerals, trees, wetlands, transportation, roads, census and hundreds of other features. It requires Arcview to download the GIS files, but ESRI's Arcview is less than $1,000 and relatively easy to learn.

I wish this information was available for the censored Ingham County water report I wrote in 2000 (published by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility), see press release: http://www.peer.org/press/181.html
and full report: http://www.peer.org/michigan/Ingham_co_water.pdf

Here's what is available for Ingham County today:
http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/mgdl/?rel=cext&action=Ingham

Onwards and upwards.

Brian McKenna