E-M:/ Krugman on Energy Deregulation

Title:
From Paul Krugman in Today's NYT:
There is a theoretical case for a deregulated electricity market. But making such a market work, it's now clear, requires at least three preconditions. First, it requires a robust transmission system, yet the recent blackout made it clear that we have now created a system in which nobody has clear responsibility for the transmission network. Second, it needs a watchdog agency with adequate powers to prevent and punish price manipulation; FERC doesn't have those powers. Third, that watchdog must not be an agent of the very companies it's supposed to be policing. Enough said.

I admire the virtues of free markets as much as anyone. But given what we've seen so far, any state government that lets the federal government prod it into deregulation is just plain crazy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/02/opinion/02KRUG.html

--
David Holtz
Communications & Development Director

Support the Michigan Environmental Council.
Your tax deductable donations will help protect
Michigan's environment. Visit our web site at
www.mecprotects.org or call us at 1-517-487-9539.