[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]

E-M:/ George Bush vs. the Great Lakes



Great Lakes United reports that the Bush Administration
will NOT stringently regulate ALL ocean-going ballast discharges
that have been implicated in Greal Lakes alien species invasions..... see
below:

To: jennifer Nalbone <jen@glu.org>
Subject: Habitat Watch #283


Habitat Watch # 283
Great Lakes United
August 31-September 6, 2003

[SNIP]

U.S. EPA won't regulate ships' ballast water

After a snail’s pace political process addressing a highly time-sensitive environmental crisis, the Bush administration announced on September 2nd that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will not regulate ballast water discharges from ships under the federal Clean Water Act.

Ballast water discharge from ocean-going ships is the source of 72% of recent invasions into the Great Lakes, and is a main source of new invasions across North America and the world. U.S. regulations require ocean-going ships to exchange their ballast water in the deep open ocean, but apply to less than 20% of ocean-going ships entering the Great Lakes each year. The remaining 80% ships accessing in the Great Lakes, and all ocean-going ships accessing U.S. coastal waters, do not have to comply with this regulation.

This final announcement came three and a-half years after environmental groups led by the Pacific Environmental Advocacy Center petitioned EPA to eliminate a regulatory exemption that prevents a vessels ballast water discharge from needing a permit under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System program.  It is likely a lawsuit against EPA will follow.

For background see Habitat Watch #242: http://www.glu.org/bhptf/Habitat%20Watch/207-250/HW242.htm For a recent article go to:http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortwayne/6677278.htm
 

Ontario to help create world’s largest freshwater reserve

In a move heralded around the world, on September 1st, Ontario Premier Ernie Eves and Minister of Natural Resources Jerry Ouellette announced that the provincial government is dedicating land and lakebed to the federal government to create the world's largest freshwater reserve. The transfer was an essential step for the establishment of the Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area.

The proposed Lake Superior NMCA will conserve a vast 2.4 million hectare corridor in northwestern Ontario. It will extend from Thunder Cape, at the tip of Sleeping Giant Provincial Park, to Bottle Point just east of Terrace Bay and the waters of Black Bay and Nipigon Bay adjacent to Michigan's Isle Royale. Ontario's contribution to the Lake Superior NMCA includes improved protection of the islands and shoreline of Lake Nipigon and the transfer of 1 million hectares of the western Lake Superior lakebed, unprotected islands and shoreline.  This provincial commitment marks a huge gain for the conservation of Lake Superior for future generations, and protection of endangered species such as the woodland caribou whose critical habitat includes vast interconnected stretches of boreal forest.

For the provincial press release go to: http://www.premier.gov.on.ca/english/news/Freshwater090103.asp For details on the proposed NMCA, go to Parks Canada: http://www.pc.gc.ca/progs/amnc-nmca/proposals/LS_proposal_e.asp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alex J. Sagady & Associates        http://www.sagady.com

Environmental Enforcement, Permit/Technical Review, Public Policy,
Evidence Review and Litigation Investigation on Air, Water and
Waste/Community Environmental and Resource Protection
Prospectus at:  http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039 
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com
==========================================