Re: E-M:/ Judy Wicks visit to West Michigan

Judy Wicks is amazing. I hail from Philly and can attest to the wonders of The White Dog Cafe. It's a beautiful, cozy abode strung along a row of 18th Century colonial red brick architecture. All historically preserved. It sits in a slim alley-like street across from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and abuts two other West Philly restaurant gems, Le Bus and La Terrase. .  . . .

Going to the White Dog was a treat, something special. The best culinary experience I ever had was there, around 1988. . .it was with my wife Joy and mother Terese, right before she died. We had all just gone to see the Abbey Theater's production of "The Hunger," and my mom was a little unsettled about the theme (the hunger was for love, something not always well expressed in Irish homes). . .and Terese, rather reserved at the time, needed some loosening up. So to the White Dog we commenced. . .where we loosened our souls in a spell of wine, music and nourishment. . .quenching our hunger for love. . .

And to think, it was all so very, very Green. . . .homegrown, anti-corporate and sensuous!

Sometimes we have to travel far to realize what diamonds were there in out backyard all along. . .

Brian McKenna