E-M:/ Garrett Hardin

Garrett Hardin, Ph.D. became a leading ethicist in the environmental movement during the 1960s. His literary legacy includes the Tragedy of the Commons. This timeless work continues to be studied in economics, sociology, demography, and environmental science. In his day, Dr. Hardin established the ethical framework for the environmental and population movement.

Garrett Hardin merged unyielding biological principles with ethical considerations. His writings still enable us to responsibly assess our surroundings to optimize the quality of life for present and future generations. He squarely confronted the human condition and its intricate connection with the natural world.

Garrett Hardin and his wife, Jane, died on Sunday, September 14, felo de se. Notwithstanding their international recognition, Jane and Garrett led humble and ecologically sustainable lives. They refused to shrink from the complexity or unpopularity of issues while living. Even in passing, they maintained an allegiance to their moral positions.

Explicitly or implicitly, we have all been touched by the clarity of Dr. Hardinís writings. Please join me in pausing, for a moment, to reflect on two of our great mentors.

Further information on Garrett Hardin can be found on the following website: <www.garretthardinsociety.org>.

Sincerely,

John Rohe