From: Jennifer Elizabeth Dudley [mailto:dudleyje@msu.edu]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 2:17 PM
To: Barbara Jean Madsen
Cc: Alex J. Sagady & Associates; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ FWS/Michigan study of bird/communication tower
problems

Enviro-Mich message from "Jennifer Elizabeth Dudley" <dudleyje@msu.edu>

Hi all,

I would also like to see some information on birds and windmills -- as well
as any names of people who could serve as experts on the topic.  Any idea
what kind of research is currently going on?

Thanks!

Jennifer Malinowski
jennifer@michiganaudubon.org
Michigan Audubon Society

Barbara Jean Madsen writes:

> Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@umich.edu>
>
> On a related issue, I wonder if anyone on the list has at their fingertips
> any reliable figures on effects of windmills on birds.  There was a lot of
> controversy about the installation of just a couple of windmills at
> Mackinaw City a few years ago, and I have heard everything from "they kill
> millions of birds" to "they don't kill birds at all".  Has anyone seen any
> good research on this topic?  Thanks.
>
> --Barb Madsen
>

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Alex J. Sagady & Associates wrote:

>> Enviro-Mich message from "Alex J. Sagady & Associates" <ajs@sagady.com>
>>
>> From: Rich_Greenwood@fws.gov
>> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:45:22 -0400
>> Sender: owner-glin-announce@great-lakes.net
>>

>> Richard Greenwood
>>      USFWS Liaison to USEPA Great Lakes National Program Office
>>      Team Leader Great Lakes Basin Ecosystem Team
>> Great Lakes National Program Office
>> 77 West Jackson Blvd. (G-17J)
>> Chicago, IL 60604
>> Ph:  312-886-3853  Fax:  312-353-2018
>> Email:  rich_greenwood@fws.gov or greenwood.richard@epa.gov
>> http://greatlakes.fws.gov/

>> Contacts:   Albert Manville, 703/358-1714
>>              Craig Czarnecki, 517/351-8470
>>              Steve J. Lewis, 612/713-5473
>>              Nicholas Throckmorton, 202/208-5636
>>
>>             U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and Michigan Implement
>>      Study to Assess Impacts of Communications Towers on Migratory Birds
>>
>> The U.S. Fish and Wildlife and Service today signed a Memorandum of
>> Understanding with Michigan's Department of Information Technology and the
>> Michigan State Police to study bird strikes at communication towers.
>>
>> The study is intended to assess the effects of lighting, height, and guy
>> wires on avian collisions at selected towers in the 350-500 foot height
>> range in the State Police System.  The variety of types and heights of
>> towers within the system provides conditions that are conducive to
>> measuring the effects of these variables on migratory birds.  The study is
>> designed to help identify reasonable and cost-effective measures that might
>> be available to minimize impacts of the towers on migratory birds.
>>
>> Construction of communications towers (including radio, television,
>> cellular, and microwave) in the United States has been growing at an
>> estimated 6 percent to 8 percent annually. According to the Federal
>> Communication Commission's 2000 Antenna Structure Registry, the number of
>> lighted towers greater than 199 feet above ground level is  currently over
>> 45,000, and the total number of towers exceeds 74,000.
>>
>> The construction of new towers creates a potentially significant impact on
>> migratory birds, especially some 350 species of night-migrating birds.
>> Migratory birds may be confused in low visibility and fly into towers and
>> guy wires.  This study will focus on how tower height, construction, and
>> lighting can be altered to minimize collisions.  Communications towers are
> [...]

Jennifer E. Malinowski
dudleyje@msu.edu
http://www.msu.edu/~dudleyje/

"Education is the silver bullet. Education is everything. We don't need
little changes. We need gigantic revolutionary changes. Schools should be
palaces. Competition for the best teachers should be fierce. They should be
getting six-figure salaries. Schools should be incredibly expensive for
government and absolutely free of charge for its citizens, just like
national defense. That is my position. I just haven't figured out how to do
it yet."
            - Sam, The West Wing  (Six Meetings Before Lunch)