Re: E-M:/ Ice Mountain Environmental Terrorism

Enviro-Mich message from Lou Novak <lmn@lppals.com>

Marc Groenleer wrote:

> The silence has been deafening.

[migreens] [Release]      Greens Deplore Threat of Violence -- For or To  Environment

Ecological Wisdom * Social Justice * Grassroots Democracy * Non-Violence

                       http://www.migreens.org

                      >>> ---------------- <<<
                      >>>   News Release   <<<
                      >>> ---------------- <<<

                       FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
                       ---------------------
                          September 25, 2003

For More Information Contact:
----------------------------
Marc Reichardt -- Party Chair, GPMI
    phone:    734-668-9628
    e-mail:   chair@migreens.org

Lou Novak -- Chair/Water Working Group, GPMI
    e-mail:   lmn@lppals.com

John Anthony La Pietra -- Media Committee, GPMI
    phone:    269-781-9478
    e-mail:   jalp@internet1.net

    >>       Greens Deplore Violence --- For or To the Environment       <<
    >>       =====================================================       <<
    >  Pumping-Plant Threat Would Have Been Avoided if Governor Granholm  <
    >   Had Acted on AG Granholm's Opinion, Stopped Nestlé/Ice Mountain   <
    >                                                                     <
    >   Greens Working in Statewide Alliances for People's Water Rights   <
    >       During 2003 -- UN's "International Year of Fresh Water"       <

    Violence done to the environment does not excuse violence done "for"
the environment.

    That was the gist of a statement issued today by the Green Party of
Michigan (GPMI) deploring the recent threat of violence against a plant
in Mecosta County pumping water to be bottled as the Nestlé Corporation's
Ice Mountain brand.

    GPMI has publicly and actively supported the efforts of grassroots
groups -- including Michigan Citizens for Water Conservation (MCWC) and the
Sweetwater Alliance -- to stop Nestlé's extraction of water from the Lake
Michigan watershed.  Boycotts and protests of Ice Mountain are taking place
across the state.  MCWC's lawsuit against Nestlé Waters North America has
been heard in Mecosta County Circuit Court, and a request for an injunction
to limit pumping is under consideration.

    Water issues have been a focus for GPMI all this year -- which the UN
has declared an International Year of Fresh Water.  Notes Jo Anne Beemon,
elected as a Green to be Charlevoix County's drain commissioner:  "The issue
of who owns Michigan's water -- who has the right to use it, or take and
sell it -- will become more and more critical as the world's water supplies
of clean, fresh water disappear."

    However, news reports of incendiary devices being found at the pumping
facility, and claims of responsibility by the Earth Liberation Front, have
diverted attention from the central issue of the situation -- the harm done
to the present and future environment of the area and the state by Nestlé's
diversion and extraction of water.

    "Non-violence is a key principle of the Green Party . . . one of its
Four Pillars," reads the statement.  "GPMI opposes the threat of violence
to property -- even if that threat is packaged with a claim to be defending
the environment -- as we oppose violence done to the environment in the
name of profiteering on public resources and rights.

    "However, we sympathize with the declared goal of the action -- to stop
the privatization and commodification of water, one of the basic necessities
of life itself, and thus an internationally recognized human right."

    And the party applauds the many "non-violent efforts" to shut down the
Ice Mountain extraction . . . "from letter-writing to peaceful rallies to
boycotts to the work of Native Americans and environmental groups through
the court system to shut down the Ice Mountain extraction."

    GPMI has been involved in the Sweetwater Alliance's efforts to save
Michigan water and Michigan's people from profiteering -- in Mecosta County
and in the Detroit metro area.  Upcoming activities include a "Water Hearing"
in Highland Park at 6pm on Wednesday, October 1 at Woodward and California.
Residents are encouraged to come to the event "and tell the Highland Park
city council and the state adminstrators why they should enact a moratorium
on water shut-offs and return power to the residents."

    Lou Novak, who heads GPMI's Water Working Group, agrees.  "It is
unfortunate when citizens resort to acts of destruction to accomplish
what they haven't accomplished through the democratic process.  As the
issue of water in this, the Great Lakes State, grows larger, our elected
leaders will have to step up and do the right thing."

    The party's statement also points out that the incident could have
been avoided:  ". . . there would have been no target for violent action
if Governor Granholm had listened to Attorney General Granholm's opinion
declaring the Nestlé/Ice Mountain extraction plant an 'export and diversion'
of Great Lakes waters -- and subject to being shut down by a stroke of
the governor's pen."

    As Jim Moreno, Michigan Green and Mount Pleasant city commissioner
(elected in a non-partisan race) puts it:  "If governments were more
responsive to the will of their constituents and if Governor Granholm kept
her pre-election promise to shut this illegal plant down none of this would
have happened.  The timing of this incident strikes me as very suspicious
since it seemed that the court case was going good for the side of the
people's water."

    For information on MCWC, including status reports on the court case,
please visit:

        http://www.savemiwater.org/

    For information on GPMI, please go to the Green Party's Web site:

        http://www.migreens.org

--
Lou Novak                  | Suffering from pronoia, the sneaking
www.lppals.com/lmn         | feeling that someone is conspiring behind