From: "Ishgooda" <ishgooda@voyager.net>
To: <MCKENNA193@aol.com>
Cc: <aheise@wccnet.org>; <dhbrooks@umich.edu>; <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2003 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Gale Norton's Visit to LEMP

> Enviro-Mich message from Ishgooda <ishgooda@voyager.net>
>
> The problem is widespread.  Most folks are afraid that speaking up and
speaking out might cost them something.  I believe the failure to speak
truth robs one of one's humanity...not a price I am willing to pay..
> No refuge is an island..no island is a refuge..
> it is all connected.
> Ish
>
> American Civil Liberties Union
> ... Secret Service Ordered Local Police to Restrict Anti-Bush Protesters
> at Rallies, ACLU Charges in Unprecedented Nationwide Lawsuit. ...
> www.commondreams.org/news2003/0923-11.htm - 17k - Sep 26, 2003
>

> At 10:12 PM 09/27/2003 -0400, MCKENNA193@aol.com wrote:
> >Dave & Ish & All,
> >
> >Salud for making a presence/statement at Norton's Poobaa. I don't usually
consort with rioters, but in Dave's case, I'll make an exception. . .

> >What I've learned in my 40+ years is that it's very dangerous to "cross
borders" with critical messages. Having been escorted by Philly police to
the defacto official protest areas -- blocks away from the action -- on
several occasions in the 80s, we knew that if we broke ranks and went First
Amendment outside of our bubble, we'd be arrested. Though I somehow always
avoided it, several colleagues often paid their jail dues. . .ala "Return of
the Secaucus 7". . .Protest is a good exercise for people who really believe
that we have a good Bill of Rights in this country. . .you can feel the
outrage of other citizens who scream and threaten you. . .and often pelt you
with objects. . . .trial by fire is sometimes the only way to learn. . .

> >But sequestering happens all the time in this country. . .how many have
had those radical graduate seminars at UM/MSU/Wayne State/where-ever, and
then attempted to translate what you'd learned into other fora? Prettttty
tricky. . .there are repressive lines to tow in non-profits, in alternative
journalism, in unions, in teaching -- even. . .there is usually always a
price to pay for speaking out, no matter how respectful your tone. . .it's
not the triumph of democracy that I grew up believing in, and with the Bush
crowd and the Patriot Act (riotPats), things are looking gloomier and
gloomier. . .

> >I've consulted with ACLU officials on several occasions (and one of the
best is Henry Silverman, the current President of Michigan's ACLU & a former
writing colleague at Lansing's City Pulse where he writes about these
issues), and must say that they have been very helpful. . .perhaps you'd
want to contact him?

> >But it's not just an ACLU contact that a movement makes. . .we all need
to vote with our feet more than we do (the last demo I was in was in
February, like many of you. . .it didn't precent the war, but wasn't it
great to feel all that solidarity? and send a message to the world that we
said "NO!"). . .maybe we all need a giant protest sometime this fall about
some issue idetified by the Michigan Environmental Council/Ecology
Center/whomever. . .I'm ready. . .