Re: E-M:/ Re: ken

Enviro-Mich message from "Tom Stephens" <tstephens@sugarlaw.org>

People on this list should know that in response to the first ELF-related
series of messages prompted by Marc the Ice Mountain /NTH hack, Ken V and I
had a long series of relatively civil exchanges about "guilt by
association."  While the tone was relatively professional, I found the
substance of his messages to be very disturbing, and this latest personal
attack is friggin' outrageous.  Ken tried to make the absurd argument to me
that environmentalists' distrust of comments by him and Marc on this list is
a form of "guilt by association," exhibiting total ignorance of the real
dynamics at work, and the history of COINTELPRO and media smear tactics by
industry/government partnerships against peoples' actvists.  I had
attributed his views to ignorance.  But seeing how in virtually the next
breath he publicly labels an individual as "accused" of a crime, in order to
discredit his views, I believe something else (venality, viciousness,
amorality) lies behind his acts and words.

And again for the record (since its arguably somewhat relevant to this
particular discussion), I disagree with and even condemn ELF's tactics, on
both moral and practical grounds.  But I support everyone's right to state
and attempt to support their views.  If Ken V can't see the difference
between that position and saying a named in dividual was  "arrested a year
or two ago in Indiana," then his clients have one dumb lawyer on their
payroll.  On the evidence, it appears to me that he can see the difference,
and is trying to use this Ice Mountain attempted arson issue to tar
grassroots environmentalism with the brush of McCarthyite smear tactics.
Coincidentally just at the point where the state DEQ is actually taking
legal enforcement action against CAFOs.  Truly disgusting, if all too
common.  Ask yourself, why can't a CAFO lawyer let environmentalists on this
list debate the issue of "ecotage" on its merits, without interjecting the
attack that one of the debaters was arrested once?  I believe the answer is
because it serves his clients' and his personal/professional and political
interests to shift the terrain of the debate from its merits to such a
personal attack.

Tom Stephens
Guild/Sugar Law Center
733 St. Antoine, 3rd Floor