From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of David E. Allen
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 10:59 AM
To: Trigger, Grant R.
Cc: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ RE: / Massasauga Earth First! statement about the
attempted ELF action at Ice Mountain

-
Enviro-Mich message from "David E. Allen" <dallen@nmu.edu>
-

Once again Grant borders on prevarication (perhaps he actually did not
read
Anne Woiwode's email).

But as a reminder, Anne stated the Sierra Club's position on vandalism
quite clearly, including the Sierra Club policy statement.  Grant is
wrong
- wrong - wrong.  Do I dare say, as usual.

Dave Allen

At 08:11 AM 9/30/03 -0400, Trigger, Grant R. wrote:

>Frankly I am waiting to count the credible organizations that denounce
ELF
>and ANYONE who has the audacity to endorse such tactics. Maybe we
should
>be slicing the tires of any hunter who dares shoot an animal, maybe we
>should put spikes in the road to stop anyone who does not leave enough
>room to pass a bicycle, maybe we should put barbed wire at about 3 feet

>off the gropund on ORV and snowmobile trails - this whole discourse
should
>disgust a normal human being.
>
>A ruleless society is a lawless disrespectful society and for those who

>desire and ecourage defying the law - they should move to a country
that
>embraces a lawless society.
>
>As to this issue - Michigan is a net importer of water - just check the

>facts  - also where do you think the water came from that was used to
make
>and export Stroh's beer and Vernor's ginger ale? And Frankenmuth
>ale?   Where did the water come from used to can vegetables from the
>Thumb?  Where did the water come from in the radiater of your car?
Could
>Ice Mountain bottle water from Lake Huron and be less a fiend?
>
>First amendment is one thing encouraging actions designed to destroy
and
>put terror in the heart are another
>
>Anne - I invite the Sierra Club denounce these actions - taking a
position
>on an issue and endorsing these actions are two different things.

ELF
> [...]
>actions in this country from 1997 to the present.
>According to their published guidelines, they take all
>necessary precautions to avoid harming any life, human
>or non-human. Violence can only be done to living
>beings, not property. The correct term to describe
>their actions is "ecotage". Ecotage is an act against
>property to diminish the profit of a company or a
>practice that threatens the environment. It is a
>strategy used as a response to an extreme case of
>environmental exploitation. Every day that the Ice
>Mountain facility pumps 400 gallons per minute out of
>a negligibly rechargeable aquifer, irrevocable damage
>is done to the local ecosystem. Every day that Ice
>Mountain is allowed to operate, the damaging precedent
>is set that a corporation has more legal rights than
>the members of the community it preys on. Look at Ice
>Mountain and Nestle's record in other communities and
>judge for yourself who plays the role of "terrorist";
>who causes real damage to real people and the
>environment for profit.
>
>We call on all other environmental organizations to
>stop using the word "terrorist" when describing the
>ELF. Using the corporations' opportunistic semantics
>does nothing to further the cause of the environment
>and only serves to fragment our movement publicly.
>When industry's consultants and lawyers demand a
>condemnation of the "terrorist" actions against them,
>it is part of their plan to divide and weaken any
>movement that struggles against them and their
>policies.
>Massasauga Earth First! encourages all environmental
>groups or individuals to, at the very least, neither
>condemn nor condone nonviolent actions that happen in
>defense of the Earth outside the sphere of their
>personal or group's stated boundaries. A multifaceted
>approach, using many strategies and tactics is bound
>to be more successful in our common cause than a
>movement divided.
>
>Water for Life, Not for Profit!
>
>Disclaimer: Massasauga Earth First! had no prior
>knowledge of, nor did they participate in the action
>at the pump house. All information about the action
>was garnered from the news media and from the ELF
>communiqué, as released by the ELF press office.

>http://shopping.yahoo.com

>and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives
at

enviro-mich"

>Confidential:  This electronic message and all contents
>contain information from the law firm of Honigman Miller
>Schwartz and Cohn LLP which may be privileged,
>confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
>The information is intended to be for the addressee
>only.  If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy,
>distribution or use of the contents of this message is
>prohibited.  If you have received this electronic message
>in error, please notify us immediately (313.465.7000)
>and destroy the original message and all copies.

enviro-mich"