E-M:/ FW: / Condemning violations of laws

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

Here 'tis, Michigan.  ~~Rita

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Anne M. Woiwode
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 10:56 AM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ Condemning violations of laws

-
Enviro-Mich message from "Anne M. Woiwode" <anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org>
-

Response to Marc Groenleer:

Apparently you know a heck of a lot more about this issue than I do --
until seeing the articles you posted, I had yet to see anything in print
on the matter.  Your attempt to lump legitimate environmental activists
with vandals and those who evidently believe violence is acceptable is
outrageous, and ill-informed.  Sierra Club has for years spoken out
against actions by ELF -- below is our statement in August on an
incident in San Diego which points out our long history of condemning
acts of violence.  After that is a letter we sent in 2001 to Congress on
our condemnation of violence.  I am not clear why you didn't
specifically reference in your posting Terry Swier's quotes in the
articles you cited, which eloquently state that this kind of action is
crazy --

"Who in their right mind would do something like this?" she said. "Our
fight is in the courts, not on the ground. This is not what I want in
our community."

Illegal acts, particularly those that threaten the health and well-being
of anyone, whether through acts of vandalism or failure to abide by
environmental laws, are never acceptable.

Anne Woiwode

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    August 25 , 2003

CONTACT:
                                                   Eric Antebi
415-977-5747

     STATEMENT ON RECENT ACTS OF VIOLENCE IN THE NAME OF THE ENVIRONMENT

                      FROM CARL POPE, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

   "The Sierra Club strongly condemns all acts of violence in the name
of
   the environment, and we specifically denounce the Earth Liberation

   Front's recent acts of arson and vandalism at a construction site in
San
   Diego and at car dealerships in Southern California.

   "While nonviolent civil disobedience has a distinguished place in

   American history, the Sierra Club uses only lawful means to protect
the
   environment. We can respect the decision of those who, by undertaking

   acts of nonviolent civil disobedience, put themselves at risk, but

   peaceful disobedience and violence are vastly different acts. No
matter
   what the motivation, the Sierra Club does not condone any acts of

   violence.

   "For the Sierra Club and other environmental groups, this is not a
new
   position. In fact, when a Forest Service facility in the Willamette

   National Forest was torched in 1996, the Sierra Club offered a reward
   anyone who could help identify the perpetrators.

   "Moreover, the Earth Liberation Front itself studs its literature
with
   Sierra Club statements denouncing ELF; they know where we stand --

   against their violence."

                                  *********

   The Earth Liberation Front's magazine, Resistance, cites the
following
   Sierra Club statements denouncing acts of violence in the name of the

   environment.

        "I disagree (that radicals help the movement) in a lot of
ways..."

        "Maybe it would be different if things were reported
differently,
        but we all end up being lumped together. Issues get lumped
together
        and environmentalists get lumped together." --- Sandy Bahr,
Sierra
        Club (NOW, March 22-28 2001, Vol.20, NO. 29)

        "This is a very adolescent and rather terrible thing to do in an

        attempt to right what they feel is a wrong." --- Charlotte

        Holzkamaper, chair of the Rogue Group, Sierra Club (Federal Cops

        Look into ELF Activities, The Associated Press, 1998)

        "It sullies the reputation of everyone involved in the

        environmental movement."

        "We certainly don't approve of the tactic..."

        "We don't think that that's the appropriate way to get things

        done." ---Tom Dimitre, chairman of the Rogue Group, Sierra Club

        (Fri., 1/12/01, Mail Tribune, Medford, Ore.)

        "These incidents of violence which endanger the lives of

        firefighters, police and the public cannot be condoned or
excused
        at any level."

        "It's too bad - everytime it happens, the environmental movement

        gets a lot of bad press."

        "Our only thought about them is hoping that law enforcement
brings
        them to justice swiftly." ---Allen Mattison, Sierra Club
spokesman
        (Loose-knit Radical Group Hides in Internet's
Shadow;Ecoterrorists
        took credit for spate of costly arsons, The Dallas Morning News,

        4/6/01)

        "To me, these actions are more about arson than about the bigger

        environmental picture."

        "They make it more of a challenge for us because, unfortunately,
we
        all get lumped together in the eyes of the public." --- Sandy
Bahr,
        legislative liason for Arizona's Sierra Club chapter (Christian

        Science Monitor, 2/9/01)

        "I walk in to a meeting of the Natural Resources Committee and
they
        say 'Oh, you're with those extremists!'"

        "So I have to take time explaining that the Sierra Club isn't
part
        of this and doesn't support these actions." --- Caryl Terrell,

        Sierra Club legislative coordinator in Madison (Shepard Express

        Metro, 11/23/00, Milwaukee, WI)

                                        ###

November 1, 2001

James V. Hansen
U.S. House of Representatives
Committee on Resources
Washington, DC  20515

Dear Chairman Hansen,

I am surprised you have not seen the Sierra Club's denunciations of
terrorist acts given our frequently and clearly stated position. The
Sierra Club condemns all violent acts, including those in the name of
the environment.  As the enclosure documents, even the Earth Liberation
Front that you mention in your letter has chronicled Sierra Club
denouncements of their violent acts that appeared in various national
and local news publications.

While nonviolent civil disobedience has a distinguished place in
American history, the Sierra Club uses only lawful means to protect the
environment. We can respect the decision of those who, by undertaking
acts of nonviolent civil disobedience, put themselves at risk, but
peaceful disobedience and violence are vastly different acts.  No matter
what the motivation, the Sierra Club does not condone any acts of
violence.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Ferenstein
President

cc: Representative Scott McInnis, Representative John Peterson,
Representative Bob Schaffer, Representative Greg Walden, Representative
J.D. Hayworth, Representative George Nethercutt

Enc: Earth Liberation Front magazine's chronicle of Sierra Club's
statements denouncing violent acts.

enviro-mich"