Re: E-M:/ wetlands threatened by gravel mining

Enviro-Mich message from "Bill Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

We saw much the same behavior that Nancy relates when London Aggregates
began operations in 1993.

Wetland areas, and areas that were wet, dried up.  Small ponds 4 to 5
miles away disappeared.  Wooded wetlands had many of the mature trees
die when their traditional habitat changed, again in an area several
miles away.

Big Marsh cuts through my farm, two miles from the quarry. There is a
floodplain and wetland on one side of it. Traditionally, there was
shallow standing water in this wetland 9 months of the year.  This
changed post 1993.  After 93, the only time there was standing water
was during the spring thaw, and after occasional very heavy rains when
Big Marsh would spill over its banks.  Much of the original flora
disappeared.  There was a lovely stretch of some kind of "purple iris"
looking plant that would bloom for months in late spring.  Gone.  Also,
the frogs, turtles and crayfish that were once abundant became scarce.

The flow in Big Marsh and in other small creeks and drains all but
disappeared, which demonstrates the symptom of the disappearance of the
high surface water tables.  This was not everywhere, there seemed to be
some localities that maintained high levels.  But in general, there was
a significant environmental change.

Thousands of wells went dry, and stayed dry for 10 years.
All this happened while the company claimed that their analysis showed
that there were no groundwater effects beyond thier property line and
the state did nothing to enforce permits.

Now that the quarry has not been withdrawing aquifer water for 10
months resulting from a citizen Clean Water Act lawsuit, I see signs of
change.  The above mentioned floodplain/wetland now has water upon it
again for the past month.  Big Marsh itself is still at low flow, but
most of its water comes from several more miles away.  A large number
of residential wells have returned to operation after many years of
being bone dry.

I urge anyone who can help the Bridgewater folks to contact them. I
spent an evening with them on the night that their citizens group was
meeting for the first time.  In particular, they need wetland
expertise, and ground and surface water impact analysis.  They also
need expertise with air quality impacts.

As I understand it, the Bridgewater quarry intends to expand and deepen
their operations onto neighboring properties regardless of the impacts.
It sounds like deja vu to me.

Bill

---
> Enviro-Mich message from "Nancy Hebb" <nchebb@msn.com>
---

> Hello.  I'm a resident of Bridgewater Twp., Washtenaw County.  15 or
more of my 38 acre farm is distinctive wetland (the whole thing is part
of a greater wetland); interesting sedges, lake and marsh grasses,
oak/hickory wood, (invasive pampas & cattails too), and a wide variety
of wildflowers including acres of thick trillium, bloodroot,
toothworts, jack-in-the-pulpit, and hundreds more I haven't
identified.  Some of the sedges (particularly tussock) have been
established a century to reach their current development.

> About 1/4 mile from me a 40+ acre lake, 110 feet deep, has been
excavated for gravel mining.  This affected runoff patterns to my land.
Stansley Mineral Resources now proposes a 58-acre lake directly
opposite a narrow dirt road, and down-gradient from, my wetland.  The
area surrounding me on the north (higher ground) and west (wetland and
former wetland) recently was sold to Daniels Management who, it's
reported, has or is selling it to Adrian Sand and Gravel.

> Bridgewater Twp. hired Tetra Tech to do a quick study for comments at
the Oct. 21 DEQ Inland Lakes permit hearing.  Public notice of that
hearing appeared Oct. 16 in the local paper for the hearing on the 21st
and adjacent property owners received notice by mail that arrived after
Oct. 10 for many and even after Oct. 14 for some.

> Wells immediately up-grade of the current lake have dropped 10-13
feet consistently, while wells farther away and those down grade from
the existing operation remain basically the same (the latter could have
been expected to show a rise).  Run-off studies show the wetlands have
suffered a significant reduction in recharge, and the groundwater
change indicated by the well testing would indicate a decrease in
groundwater feeding it, too (it is both stream and spring fed).  IF THE
PROPOSED LAKE IS APPROVED, water available to the wetland could be
reduced by 40% or more, according to Tetra Tech.

> I am trying to document the species in the wetland, and have been
told it contains a much greater than average diversity of wetland
species.  I cannot, nor can a citizens group - Stewards of Bridgewater -
 afford an extensive hydro-geological study to determine where natural
barriers (there are clay hills nearby) to groundwater, springs, aquifer
depth may be, etc.

> A spring that used to produce 15 gallons/second and ran nine months
out of the year ran only a few weeks this year at a MUCH reduced rate.
A smaller wet area that's spring fed had far less water this year,
also.  It's assumed the groundwater level WAS very high, as last year
we pulled several illegal straight pipe "wells" the previous owner used
to water livestock...these were 10-20 feet deep.  The old dug well on
the property was 12 feet deep.  Stansley claims groundwater level is
about 50 feet on property just a hundred feet from mine. I KNOW the
level here is no more than 20 feet in many places, as the straight
pipes were still producing a year and a half ago when I moved in.

> All this is happening within 2000 feet of the River Raisin itself.
The field where the lake is proposed has been tiled for agricultural
use, and re-tiled within recent years because it was still too wet.
Thus, that 147 acres of former wetland and some wetland northwest of
mine already have been lost by "reclamation" for agriculture.

> I and the "Stewards of Bridgewater" are seeking any support we can
find, in the form of expertise, tips, records of other Stansley
engineer "miscalculations" in Findlay OH or elsewhere, spreading of the
word, comments to the DEQ (address below) by November 1st, and
suggestions for how to go about fighting the mining expansion (just
part of a huge expansion which would include up to five more lakes) to
protect our wetlands, wells, and flood plain.

> We also would be very interested in finding out which townships or
other entities have sued the MDEQ in order to get them to enforce their
own DEQ restrictions/guidelines or any instances where criteria for
permit granting was overlooked or treated in a questionable manner.

> We are looking for legal help, particularly in reference to violation
of the statutes of '69 RE "not less than 10 nor more than 60 days"
public notice of a hearing.