Re: E-M:/ RE: / Fun Evening with Gov & Mrs Milliken

Title:
Speaking just for myself (not the Michigan Environmental Council where I work ) a brief counterpoint to Mr. Ambrose:  letting the perfect become the enemy of the good is a wonderful approach if you live in an ideal world.  Bill Milliken's tenure as governor was imperfect (as Mr. Ambrose points out). But he did some good things along the way--sometimes because of crisis like mercury in the lakes and PCBs--and by way of comparison with his successors was a downright champion on the environment. He did things like appoint Marty Fluharty to the Michigan Environmental Review Board and it was Marty we were honoring Monday night.

Frank Ambrose wrote:
Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman1549@yahoo.com>

Did the folks present ask the former governor if he
has since moved down to the hamtramck area to enjoy
the trash incinerator that he helped ensure would stay
in operation. Remember it was him who reclassified the
toxic waste it was producing to "special waste"
allowing it to continue to operate, pollute and kill
the residents of detroit.

It is funny in a sick sort of way that now, this man
who greased the wheels for the worlds largest trash
incinerator, is being recognized as an environmental
leader.

--- Patrick Diehl <patmec@voyager.net> wrote:

Thank you for the message, Chuck.  Glad you were
here.  By the way, Diane
Hebert - not "Herbert" - received the 2003 Petoskey
Prize for Environmental
Leadership.

Thanks again.

Patrick Diehl