E-M:/ RE: Doves are not songbirds

Enviro-Mich message from "Amanda Hathaway" <ahathaway@mucc.org>

Ms. Curl and other Enviro-Mich readers:

The mourning dove is NOT a songbird. There are about 30 orders of birds
in the world representing over 10,000 species. Songbirds, or passerines,
belong to the order passeriformes. This group includes many families of
birds including, but not limited to, swallows, warblers, wrens, finches,
larks, nuthatches, thrushes and blackbirds. Mourning doves belong to the
order columbiformes. This group of birds includes dove and pigeon
species. Comparing the mourning dove to a songbird is like saying a
whitetail deer is a rodent. Both examples are completely different
groups of animals with many distinct characteristics and traits.

-
-

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Wil Cwikiel wrote:

...snip...
> From my perspective (i.e., focus on protecting the environment), dove
> hunting would have no adverse impacts on populations or ecosystems.
> Accordingly, I've always had a problem with understanding the
opposition
> to a dove season in Michigan.  So please educate me.

It is really very simple. The mourning dove is a songbird, and people do
not think songbirds should be gamebirds. If you understand why songbirds
are protected, you have the answer to your question.

--Rane L Curl

enviro-mich"