E-M:/ New Release: Stabenow Global Warming Vote Praised

Title:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                     More Information:
Thursday, October 30, 2003                               Lana Pollack
                                                                               David Gard
                                                                               517-487-9539

Senator’s Global Warming Vote Praised
Senate Rejection A ‘Disappointing Defeat’

Lansing, MI—Michigan’s largest environmental coalition today praised Sen. Debbie Stabenow’s (D-MI) vote in support of the Climate Stewardship Act, saying the Senate’s defeat of the measure means America has failed a critical test of its commitment to reduce global warming.

“Today’s vote is a victory for the special interests and a disappointing defeat for those of us who recognize that American know-how can reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve our economy and protect our planet,” said Lana Pollack, Michigan Environmental Council president. “Debbie Stabenow understands that for Michigan residents global warming is a local issue for our lakes, our farms, and our economy.  The people of Michigan thank her for taking a strong stand on addressing a threat that, unfortunately, is only going to get worse because of the Senate’s inaction.”

The Michigan Environmental Council, which represents 67 environmental and faith-based groups, was one of several groups that sent a letter this week asking Stabenow and U.S. Sen. Carl Levin (D)MI to support the Climate Stewardship Act.  The bill required reductions of greenhouse gas emissions to 2000 levels by 2010.  Science has shown that heat-trapping gasses from coal-fired utilities, factories and vehicles are warming the earth’s temperature. This has resulted in less winter ice on the Great Lakes and an alarming drop in lake water levels.

The letter said that urgent action was needed or the United States faced deep and costly carbon emission reductions cuts in the future.  The bill’s failure undercuts American leadership in the global market for energy technology—an estimated $10 trillion market over the next 20 years, said Pollack.

“It’s just amazing to me that our leaders have so little faith in the most entrepreneurial and innovative economy in the history of the world,” said Pollack.  “There is undeniable scientific evidence that global warming poses an enormous threat to our economy. Fortunately, Sen. Stabenow understands this and acted in Michigan’s best interests.”

--
David Holtz
Communications & Development Director