RE: E-M:/ RE: / Response to Dove Rally

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Julie Metty Bennett wrote:

> >From MUCC's Website (www.mucc.org)
>
> Q&A About a Mourning Dove Season for Michigan
>
> Q - Aren't doves songbirds?
>
> A - No. There are about 30 orders of birds in the world representing
> over 10,000 species. Songbirds, or passerines, belong to the order
> passeriformes. This group includes many families of birds including, but
> not limited to, swallows, warblers, wrens, finches, larks, nuthatches,
> thrushes and blackbirds. Mourning doves belong to the order
> columbiformes. This group of birds includes dove and pigeon species.
> Comparing the mourning dove to a songbird is like saying a whitetail
> deer is a rodent. Both examples are completely different groups of
> animals with many distinct characteristics and traits.

I don't think most people read a biology textbook before looking at or
listening to birds. The mourning dove sings, so to those contemplating
them pssively they are songbirds.

I would also point out that hawks and owls, and many other orders of
birds, are also not passerines, but are still protected.

--Rane L Curl