Re: E-M:/ getting the lead out

Enviro-Mich message from "Chris Kolb" <Ckolb@house.mi.gov>

Yes, I have requested that legislation be drafted to end the use of lead
sinkers in the State of Michigan...

State Representative Chris Kolb (53rd District)

>>> Jeff Gearhart <jeffg@ecocenter.org> 10/30/2003 4:57:06 PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from Jeff Gearhart <jeffg@ecocenter.org>

I have also wondered for years why we continue to allow the
significant  quantities of lead to be put into our waters when they
fall off fishing lines(sinker and other tackle).  Is anyone working
on this in Michigan?

I've seen the lead free weights & tackle sold at Cabela's in Dundee,
but I am not aware of any efforts to get their use adopted, either
legislatively or otherwise.  And it is unclear what percentage of
tackle shops actually carry the alternatives anyway.  Most of the
shops I been at don't.

Other state programs appear to be successful and some are noted below:

New York
http://www.state.ny.us/governor/press/year02/may8_2_02.htm

New Hamshire
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fishing/get_the_lead_out.htm

Maine
http://www.maineaudubon.org/conservation/wildlife/leadout.html

And Minnesota has an active voluntary program:
http://www.moea.state.mn.us/reduce/sinkers.cfm

I also understand that the UK banned lead in sinkers sometime in the
80's.

and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives
at

enviro-mich"