E-M:/ Pediatric Environmental Health Guide, 2nd edition, is out!

EMers,

Dr. Ruth Etzel's long awaited second edition of "Pediatric Environmental Health" came  out on November 2nd. It was released at The American Academy of Pediatrics annual
National Conference & Exhibition (NCE) taking place on November 1 - 5 in New Orleans.

To learn more about the significance of this environmental guide, see:
http://www.ecocenter.org/200308/greenpediatric200308.shtml

Please read the AAP's Press Release at http://www.aap.org/
to learn about all the new areas in which pediatricians are now being encouraged to work, including: harassment and bullying,  children's advertising, and an advisory against using Syrup of Ipecac for poisoning.

One may agree or not with the AAP in several areas (like the legitimacy of the disease category Attention Deficit Disorder and the pharmacological treatment of that designation), but, like EnviroMich, the AAP has many contradictory elements and opinions. In my view it's terrific that pediatricians -- led by people like Dr. Etzel -- have courageously stepped up to the plate and continue addressing environmental issues. . .and that they do so rigorously. Please contact Dr. Etzel (and the environmental community) with your comments or criticisms about the guide should you review one. And please encourage your pediatrician to get a copy. If they're in the AAP, it's free.

Brian McKenna

Here's Saturday's announcement:

NEW AAP BOOK TACKLES LATEST ENVIRONMENTAL CHILD HEALTH TOPICS
NEW ORLEANS
- Should I limit the amount of fish my child eats because of