E-M:/ Water Cleanup Advocate Elected to St. Clair Shores City Council

Enviro-Mich message from Cyndi Roper <croper@cleanwater.org>

Clean Water Action News Release

For Immediate Release
Contact: Cyndi Roper, 517.490.1394 or Sarah Roberts, 586.783.8900

VOTERS ELECT WATER CLEANUP ADVOCATE TO SHORES COUNCIL

St. Clair Shores, MI — Clean Water Action today hailed the election Tuesday
of Erin Stahl to the St. Clair Shores City Council.  Stahl gave
considerable credit for her victory to environmentalists and to her water
protection message. She received 7,769 votes in the race, finishing just 14
votes behind front-runner Michael Boyle. The top three vote-getters in the
six-way race were elected to the council.

Incumbent William Nearon was ousted from the city council as a result of
Stahl's strong showing. Many Clean Water supporters viewed Nearon as
lacking leadership on the PCB cleanup effort in area canals and are
enthusiastic that he has been replaced by a strong cleanup advocate.

"Clean Water Action and Michigan Clean Water Action Vote Environment were
the driving force in my campaign,” said Stahl. “They are fighting for a
terrific cause: our water. Together with Clean Water Action and Toxic Free
Shores we will find the source of the PCBs that are polluting our local
waters. We need to keep the issue on the forefront, not hide from it and
we, as a council, need to provide strong leadership on this issue."

Michigan Clean Water Action and its political committee, Michigan Clean
Water Action Vote Environment (MCWAVE), contacted thousands of St. Clair
Shores voters about the group's endorsement of Stahl and distributed more
than 4,300 pieces of literature to undecided voters. Clean Water’s winning
message: Elect a leader who will clean up PCB contamination in St. Clair
Shores.

"For two years, we have been trying to work with the St. Clair Shores City
Council to help us resolve the PCB contamination in our canals," said Lorol
Brackx, of Toxic Free Shores, a local group who has been working with Clean
Water. "They have not been on our side, and we needed new representation on
the council."

Toxic Free Shores and Clean Water Action have been fighting for a complete
cleanup of PCBs in St. Clair Shores' canals. Although the EPA declared all
the highly contaminated sediment had been removed, independent tests
performed by Toxic Free Shores indicate that the levels remain high.

"We look forward to Erin Stahl's tenure on the St Clair Shores City Council
and to her leadership on water quality issues in St. Clair Shores," said
Cyndi Roper, Clean Water Action's Michigan Director and MCWAVE Chair.

###