E-M:/ Protesting is illegal in Dearborn according to Ford and the Dearborn Cops

Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman1549@yahoo.com>

Protesting is illegal in Dearborn, MI according to the
police. We (Marie, Andrei, and myself) showed up at
Village Ford this evening (friday) to have a peaceful
picket as part of the national day of action at Ford.
We did not even have our 3 foot by 4 foot banner
unfurled when a police car came screeching up the
sidewalk and nearly hit Marie. It scared her and
caused her to drop her camera. The cop jumped out and
yelled at us to leave now or be arrested. He said we
could not protest here. I said, "where, in America?"
He did not respond. He asked for our ID's
aggressively, which we refused to give him. In the US,
 you are not required to have or show an ID on your
person or show ID while walking on the sidewalk, no
matter how gruffly the request is made. In the
meantime, Marie called our attorney, Buck Davis. While
he was on the line, the cop tried to illegally search
me. I told him that I did not consent to a search and
unless I was under arrest, he did not have that right.
He told me he did. Marie told him that he should talk
to our attorney, as there have been supreme court
cases guaranteeing the right to not be unreasonably
searched.

We ended up leaving, as we did not want to get
arrested. We figured the grand jury subpoenas and
Marie's court cases were enough to deal with for one
week. As we were trying to drive away, they pulled us
over. Again the police tried to get all of our ID's,
but everyone but Andrei (who was driving) refused, as
is our right. The cop said that he wanted our ID's as
a part of an investigation. We told him that unless we
were under arrest, then we would not identify
ourselves or show our ID's.

We still had our attorney on the line, and offered
again to the officers to talk to Buck. They said they
did not want to talk to him. We then told him that we
wanted to leave because we didnt have anything to say
to them regarding their investigation of the attempted
picket at the Ford Dealership. He then took the
drivers info down and gave Andrei his license back and
told us we were free to go. They followed us until we
left Dearborn.

It is a pretty surreal experience to be run out of
town. It just goes to show who really calls the shots
in Dearborn--Ford. We are not sure if others tried to
come to the protest and were similarly run out, but
hopefully not.

Since Village Ford would not let us talk to the public
for the hour we planned to picket, we are encouraging
people to call Village Ford at 313-565-3900 (they are
closed on the weekend). Please tell them to stop
selling gas guzzling cars and trucks and start selling
fuel efficient hybrids. Also tell them to respect
people's first amendment rights. It is reprehensible
for them to call the gestapo out to prevent a peaceful
protest.

Frank and Marie and Andrei

Massasauga Earth First!
PO Box 44173