[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]

E-M:/ London Aggregates

I have just been told, that at the London Township Board meeting tonight the Board announced that they had been working with London Aggregates to reopen the quarry as a wetmine.  I was told that the Supervisor and a trustee bragged tonight about how they have been  working with the quarry for several years to accomplish this, yet all along had told citizens that nothing was going on with London Aggregates.  In the new proposal, the mine would be allowed to operate 24 hours per day.  Several months ago, the Board significantly increased the noise allowed by mining operations, even though the existing noise was already a significant citizen complaint easily heard over two miles away.  This ordinance change was strongly supported by current Planning Commission member Douglas Darling, who is also currently Chairman of the Michigan Commission of Agriculture, appointed under Engler.  Mr. Darling was Supervisor of London Township when the Board allowed a shallow sand pit to be turned into a limestone quarry 130 feet deep.  This was done without any Special Land Use Permits, Site Plan Reviews or hydrogeological reviews required by the Township Ordinances.  The London Township Board is currently being sued by citizens for numerous complaints regarding election laws, Open Meetings Act violations and Freedom of Information Act violations.  Everyone can ask themselves why these "elected officials" would work so hard against the well being of the township's citizens.
London Aggregates is owned by SE Johnson, which is now owned by Thompson McCully according to web reports.  The Division Manager is Richard Becker, a long time family friend of the Darlings.  What a small world.
After the quarry began operations, residential wells started going dry a few months later in 1993.  The circle of dry wells expanded to include over 100 square miles.  These wells were dry 365 days per year for almost 10 years.  A citizen's suit under the Clean Water Act resulted in the discharge pumps being turned off in December 2002.  By February, residential wells started coming back to life, and we have received similar reports from up to 5 miles away.