E-M:/ Land Division Act

Enviro-Mich message from "Conan Smith" <conanmec@voyager.net>

Friends

Recently we have learned that the Land Division Act will come up for
legislative review this spring.  This offers the environmental community a
chance to create some reforms to an act that has been a consummate thorn in
our sprawl-curbing sides.  With our combined experience and effort we can
amend this Act to reflect a more balanced and environmentally friendly
approach to the platting process.

We are beginning by putting together a review of the impact the Land
Division Act has had on people and communities.  We are looking to build
case studies and policy recommendations.  There are two pieces of
legislation introduced to date and with Governor Granholm naming this issue
one of her top land use priorities, we are certain to see more.  Currently
Senator Patricia Birkholz's SB 302 sunset's the entire act in two years.
Representative Chris Kolb's HB 4971 eliminates the right to new divisions
every ten years.

We need your help!  Please contact us with your concerns, stories, policy
points and/or any other relevant issues regarding the Land Division Act in
its current form and how it has effected you as an organization, community
or individual.  Send us your top five reforms that you'd like to see and
your top five fears about potential catastrophe's reform could create.  From
that we can begin to create a comprehensive communications strategy and an
effective set of recommendations to take to the legislature.

Please respond to

Jacquie Styrna: mailto:jacquelynmec@voyager.net or
Ben Stupka mailto:benmec@voyager.net with your information,

They can both also be reached at MEC's office by phone (517) 487-9539 or fax
(517) 487-9541.

Thanks!

Conan

Conan Smith