E-M:/ Michigan Wetland Action Coalition e-Newsletter

Enviro-Mich message from "Chris Grubb" <chrisgrubb@watershedcouncil.org>

Below is a text version of the MWAC e-newsletter I sent to those on the
MWAC email list last Friday.  The HTML version (64 kb) was too large to
post on enviro-mich, but will soon be soon available at
www.michiganwetlands.org.  I will post a text version of the second
issue on enviro-mich as well, but after the second issue the
e-newsletter will be sent only to those on the MWAC email list, so if
you are interested in receiving this bi-weekly publication, please email
<mailto:chrisgrubb@watershedcouncil.org>
chrisgrubb@watershedcouncil.org.  Thanks, and I hope it's helpful.

Chris

SAVE THE DATE - MICHIGAN WETLAND CONFERENCE
Mark your calendars now for a statewide wetland conference celebrating
the 25th Anniversary of Michigan's Goemaere-Anderson Wetland Protection
Act. The conference will include workshops and field trips on topics
ranging from habitat values of isolated wetlands to state and federal
wetland policy.  This conference will be held May 20-22, 2004 in
Traverse City, Michigan, and will be sponsored by a wide variety of
federal and state agencies and NGOs.  Stay tuned to the MWAC
e-newsletter for more detail in coming issues.

MWAC ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING IN LANSING - DECEMBER 9

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org> If you would like to play a part in the organizational
development of MWAC, please attend the upcoming half-day meeting on
Tuesday, December 9 from 9am - 12 noon.  After the meeting, those
interested can have lunch together across the street at Clara's.  The
meeting will be held at the office of the Michigan Environmental
Council: 119 Pere Marquette Drive, Suite 2A, Lansing, Michigan 48912
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=hngwkvn6.htsukvn6.55c9kvn6&p=http%3A%2F%2Feagle
-ecosurce.org>

BEACH DOOMING NOT DEAD
Despite the name, Save Our Shoreline (SOS), anyone familiar with this
group's efforts knows they are doing everything but saving Michigan's
shoreline.  Under pressure from this group, a bill has been introduced
in DC to mandate that federal regulations (Army Corps of Engineers
permits) conform to the new Michigan law.  While the bill may not be
heard in committee until next year, wetland advocates need to be
prepared to respond swiftly if it looks like the bill is moving.

We will continue to be involved in this issue, and will keep you
apprised.  In the meantime, please check out the publication Be a Great
<http://www.michiganwetlands.org/BeAGreatLakesSteward.pdf>  Lakes
Steward! that dispels several of the myths associated with bottomland
grooming.  If you are interested in reading a recent article on this
issue visit the Traverse City Record-Eagle, Vegetation Grooming:
<http://www.record-eagle.com/2003/oct/27beache.htm>  Law fails to ease
beach battle.

MDEQ PRELIMINARY WETLAND INVENTORIES
As noted in Michigan Department of Environmental Quality's Online
<http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3308_3325-78997--,00.html>
Calendar, there are public hearings this month on preliminary wetland
inventories in Barry, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Kalamazoo, St.
Joseph, and Van Buren counties.  We encourage you to attend a public
hearing in your county.  FYI, this calendar is helpful for wetland
advocates in identifying key public hearings to attend, and for public
comment deadlines.

Tip of the Mitt Watershed Council <http://www.watershedcouncil.org/>
426 Bay Street , Petoskey, Michigan 49770
Phone: (231) 347-1181
Fax: (231) 347-5928
Email: chrisgrubb@watershedcouncil.org
<mailto:chrisgrubb@watershedcouncil.org>