E-M:/ Fw: Important! Governor wants to Close down MSU Extension!! Please Help Write Letters!!!!!!!!!!!

Enviro-Mich message from "Peggy Malnati" <p.malnati@sbcglobal.net>

We all know that Gov. Granholm inherited a terrible mess from her
predecessor and that cuts in services need to be made.  States, unlike the
Federal Government, are not allowed to run in the red.  They have to balance
their budgets...no matter how many vital programs are cut.  However, at a
time when the Federal Government has cut back on so many programs that used
to form the social safety net for the oldest, poorest, sickest, and most
disadvantaged of our citizens, I believe it's incredibly important to
preserve what programs we can at the state level.

Gov. Granholm has just announced that she plans to COMPLETELY ELIMINATE --
not just cut back, but take away entirely -- both County Extension and the
Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station.

Many of you already know that our County Extension Agencies offer so many
important programs that serve the community every day, from Master
Gardeners, to Gardening Hotline, Gypsy Moth Suppression, the new problems
with Emerald Ash Borer and West Nile, family nutrition, 4H program for
youth, the Youth Leadership Program, and even the State Fair.  There are
also new programs in the works that will help young parents build better,
more stable
relationships for their children, and programs that help single men learn to
cook nutritious and inexpensive meals.  County Extension provides
programming in urban, suburban, and rural areas.

The MSU Agricultural Station also provides vital research and support to our
farmers, already
burdened by falling crop prices and loss of overseas markets.  The Ag
Station does research on issues like pesticide reduction, control of insects
like Gypsy Moth and Emerald Ash Borer, improving water quality, and food
security.

Both programs are interconnected.  Neither program gets any funding from
tuition hikes at MSU.  And both programs rely on matching state and federal
funds.  If state funds are removed, there will be no matching federal funds,
and the programs will die.  Remember folks, it takes years to get programs
like these up and running.  And research doesn't stand still.

Michigan State was our nation's very first land-grant college.  Its County
Extension programs are actually very cost effective, since most are designed
to train citizen volunteers to outreach further into the community.  The
Master Gardener Program in a great example of this.  Between 1978 and 2002,
the program trained 22,300 volunteers across the state.  As of this June,
there were 5,000 active volunteers listed on the roster.  Those volunteers
contributed approximately 200,000 hours of service in 2002, which was valued
at $3,308,000.

Please let Gov. Granholm know that you value these programs as much as I do
and that while we understand that cuts need to be made, she needs to find
other places less vital to all segments of our population.  Cutting back
these programs further is one thing.  Eliminating them altogether is
another.

Thanks in advance for your immediate phone calls, letters, and other help!!!
Contact information is listed below should you choose to take action.

Best regards,

Peggy Malnati
Master Gardener, Activist, Citizen