Re: E-M:/ Fw: Important! Governor wants to Close down MSU Extension!! Please Help Write Letters!!!!!!!!!!!

At 11:38 AM 11/16/2003, you wrote:

>Enviro-Mich message from "Peggy Malnati" <p.malnati@sbcglobal.net>
>Gov. Granholm has just announced that she plans to COMPLETELY ELIMINATE --
>not just cut back, but take away entirely -- both County Extension and the
>Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station.

I would hate to see county extension offices cut, particularly 4-H programs
which,
I think, help keep rural youth out of trouble and have a tremendous influence
on youth.    Some extension programs/activities/materials should probably
have fees, with potential for waiver based on ability to pay.

However, all of the agriculture commissions/boards shut be cut completely and
all of the agriculture promotion activities should be put on a "grower pay"
basis
i.e.   the dry bean farmers and their organizations should pay for promotional
programs with user fees and assessments, not taxpayers....

While Jennifer Granholm is doing some cutting, she should also cut the
so-called
"clean corporate citizen" program in MDEQ.....just an ancient holdover
relic of the Engler era.

All of the training and educational programs in both Ag and MDEQ should
be put on a 100% fee or grant-financed basis.   If citizens must pay the
full cost of FOIA requests, then industry and even small business can pay
100% of the real costs of putting on training seminars and meetings.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com