E-M:/ Discover Corp. Green Scam

The human race has worked for hundreds of years to free itself from the tyranny of religion and the jobs not done yet. We have worked nearly as long to free ourselves from the tyranny of the State and the job is never done. Now the Corporation has learned to harness the church and state into the Corporation’s enslavement of us as consumers. The “Discover Our Wild Side” brochure produced by the partners of the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge for the 2003 Centennial Celebration of the National Wildlife Refuge System dose more harm than good.

When I entered Lake Erie Metro Park (LEMP) I received my copy of Discover Our Wild Side in a frosted glass looking plastic bag with logos and titles elegantly embossed on its side. I was thrown out of LEMP by the Secret Service before I had a chance to look over the brochure in much detail. Enviro-mich archives for the last week in September tell that story. I did study the brochure and as part of my report to the commissioners of the Huron-Clinton Metropolitan Authority (HCMA) told them that: “My conclusion is that the HCMA was contributing to a green wash by actively supporting one-sided propaganda touting the environmental activities of notorious corporate polluters.”

John Hartig’s posting of 13 November 2003 to enviro-mich prompted me to take another look at the brochure. Twelve of the twenty-one sponsors providing financial support to the production of the brochure were well know southeastern Michigan corporations. Pages 7, 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16 of the 16-page brochure are essentially corporate advertisements wrapped around an environmental activity. The brochure is actually a subtle illustration of the wealth and power of corporations. A lot of people thought independence from England would be a mistake. Allowing corporations to dictate the nature of our culture will not save the environment or the human race from extinction.

David Brooks

David Brooks
2627 Hayes Rd -Mother Nature bats last and
Chelsea MI 48118-1533 has never lost a game-
Hm Ph (734) 475-9851
Hm Fax (On by request) (734) 475-0122
Personal Ph (734) 476-2144
E-Mail dhbrooks@umich.edu