Re: E-M:/ ethanol facility: risk assessment documents

At 12:06 PM 11/17/2003, you wrote:

>Enviro-Mich message from Lowell Prag <lprag@mail.msen.com>
>
>Hello Christina,
>
>Thank you for the below info on the health risk assessment of the ethanol
>facility done by the State of Minnesota. Per the previous post by Kay
>Cumbow who wishes to organize opposition to a similar facility being
>planned for West Olive in Michigan, the documentation provides in depth
>analysis of all the problems they had in Minnesota.

I think that the Badger plant and the problems it caused
were almost completely due to the fact that it previously
did not include a thermal oxidizer to control volatile organic
compound emissions from the distiller dried grain dryers.    EPA
initiated a significant enforcement action in this industry
against many of the midwest plants that were constructed without
thermal oxidizer controls on these dryers.

All new plants now will be constructed with such controls on
such dryers in order to get minor stationary source designations.
You may want to talk with Paul Schleussner in MDEQ Air Quality
Division about this.  He recently did permitting on the Michigan
Ethanol plant in the thumb area.

I do have real questions about the implications for agriculture and
irrigation use to grow corn to provide for ethanol plants, although
this is more of an issue in states west of the mississippi river.   It seems
like an adverse deal to demand irrigation for corn in order to grow
vehicle fuels in areas of the county where water mining is taking place.

In addition, use of ethanol in motor vehicles may not be desireable
at all times of the year...notably in summertime when evaporative
emissions can increase.

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com