From: "Anne Woiwode, Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter" <awoiwodesc@earthlink.net>
Sent: Nov 17, 2003 10:11 AM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Overall State Budget

The recent posts regarding the Extension Service and threats of budget cuts
point out to me that there is a danger of worthy programs and their
proponents fighting over the crumbs that have fallen off the table.  I
won't get into the merits or lack thereof of MSU Extension, but instead ask
you to step  back and look at the whole.

Those who watched the Governor's road show on the budget with an
unjaundiced and open mind may have had the same experience my son and I had
watching it.  The real question that needs to be answered , which the
Governor posed at the beginning of the Lansing forum, is "what do we value"
as a state?  The exposition of different options for cutting and their
costs, asking the group in the room to choose among those they were willing
to cut, was akin asking which of our children will we be willing to
sacrifice for the sake of the others.

What I particularly appreciated was that the goal was to reframe the
drastically oversimplified "truth" we have been forced to live with
nationwide for more than a generation -- that there is nothing of worth to
be had from paying taxes and by extension from any form of government,
therefore tax cutting is the highest good for society.  Governor Engler
used this mantra to create a huge structural deficit for Michigan that was
INEVITABLE in bringing about the shortfalls today.  Predictions a few years
ago made that clear.  The economic downturn only aggravates the problem, it
is not the root cause of the current problems.

But the argument that any tax or fee is unacceptable allowed Engler to gut
environmental programs and many other programs towards which he was either
indifferent or hostile.  By requiring people to look first at the price of
government regardless of whether or not it was serving a useful purpose, is
like a reverse The Price is Right - asking you to what price you are
willing to pay without knowing whether you are buying an home or a bottle
of toilet cleaner.

Of course any tax payer funded program must be run well, and must meet the
values of our people.  People used to say government should be run like a
business, but I think it actually has to be run much better than most
businesses.  After the past several years of corporate scandals, it is
abundantly clear that most government does run better than some of what
used to be considered our top corporations.  One reason is it must be
accountable to the public.  True accountability means putting all the
choices or types of choices out for the public to see.  This week the
Detroit News is focusing on the importance of both free speech and a free
press, including freedom of access to information about how our government
does its work, another casualty of the Engler years in Michigan and now at
the federal level with Bush.  Cultivating ignorance in the public is the
most effective tool for running a suspect agenda that will not gain public
support otherwise.

In the immediate future, as the Engler-caused state budget crisis threatens
to put the state out of compliance with our own prohibition on a deficit,
difficult choices must be made.  But even choices made in crisis should
begin to shape the future we want.  I was encouraged to hear the people at
the forum in Lansing suggest that stopping the income tax rollback is the
first step -- when it comes to first aid, stopping the bleeding is usually
the essential first step, and that is what this does.

The other thing that needs to happen is for the Republicans in the
Legislature to stop running against the Governor for a long enough time
that a rational balanced response to the current crisis is crafted.  I was
astonished to hear the attacks on the forums the Governor held, especially
after watching one.  Can anyone really object to talking with the public
about the types of challenges we are facing as a result of these dire
fiscal predictions????  If they don't like the proposals by the Governor,
then engage in discussion, not sniping -- I am just glad for once that
there IS an attempt to listen to people about this!! As people on this list
will know, some of the state's top legislators have refused to meet with
even their own constituents to talk about the proposed fees for water
pollution permits -- it is good to see this type of open discussion held!

I would urge Enviro-Mich readers to jump into the discussion with both feet
-- contact your legislators and write to the Governor, letting them know
what you value and what you are willing to pay for, as well as where other
sources of funds may be to pay for services and benefits to special
segments of the society.  Lift the debate to look at the future as well --
where do we as a state want to end up? What do we value about the services
and programs state government provides?  It is up to us one way or another!

Anne Woiwode