E-M:/ WEDNESDAY 11/19: Author Pam Flowers presents "Alone Across theArctic: One Woman's Epic Journey by Dog Team"

Enviro-Mich message from Anne Heise <aheise@wccnet.org>

Friends,

Very few people have crossed Alaska by dogsled.  Even fewer have done it
solo.  And until just a few years ago, no woman had ever accomplished the
task.  On Wednesday, November 19 in Ann Arbor you can hear Alaskan author
and adventurer Pam Flowers' amazing story of travelling "Alone Across the
Arctic:  One Woman's Epic Journey by Dog Team".  The event is jointly
sponsored by the Sierra Club's Huron Valley Group and the Washtenaw
Audubon Society.

Please note that we've changed the usual Sierra Club meeting date - we're
meeting this month on the third WEDNESDAY, *not* the third Tuesday.

The program begins at 7:30 pm at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens (location
below) and is followed by a social hour, during which you can meet others
who share your interests in protecting nature.  It's time to shop for
holiday gifts, and we'll have Sierra Club calendars and EarthCash shopping
vouchers available for purchase by cash or check.  EarthCash vouchers let
you help stop sprawl when you buy groceries, books, CDs, and other items
at stores where you already shop -- at no additional cost to you.  Sales
of EarthCash vouchers enabled us to give $42,000 -- the largest
contribution -- to the successful campaign that just passed the boldest
anti-sprawl initiative in Michigan history.  You can find more EarthCash
details and an order form at www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/sfte.

The Sierra Club/Huron Valley Group offers a montly public program,
normally on the third Tuesday of each month at the beautiful Matthaei
Botanical Gardens, located east of Ann Arbor at 1800 N. Dixboro Road
between Geddes and Plymouth Roads (east of US-23), beginning at 7:30 pm.
Programs are free and open to the public.  Newcomers are welcome; no
membership is required.

We hope you can join us for Wednesday's joint program with the Washtenaw
Audubon Society.  Please feel free to forward this message to others who
might be interested.

Doug Cowherd
Chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
Co-Director, Friends of Ann Arbor Open Space

Sierra Club events info: www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron/ & 734-480-7751

Check out the Ann Arbor Parks & Greenbelt Proposal on the web at
a2openspace.org.  We just added Proposal B election return data, victory
party photos, links to press coverage, and more.