E-M:/ multidrug resistant bacteria (MDRB)

Greetings,

The following will be of interest to those in Michigan wishing to keep our
water supplies and farm lands safe, especially with the advent of CAFO's:

Given the widespread, indiscriminate use of antibiotics in the USA for
both humans and farm animals, the problem of multidrug resistant bacteria
(MDRB) is increasing exponentially.

An additional problem is the ability of MDRB to not only enter our water
supplies but also the food chain, through the use of biosolids as land
applied soil amendments.

To further complicate the problem, we have added CAFO's to the mix of
breeding grounds for MDRB, as the use of steroids in farm animals to make
them grow faster, has also lead to the over use of antibiotics, as the
steroids make the animals more susceptible to bacterial infection.

To make matters worse, there is now evidence that standard treatments for
killing pathogens in waste water, sewage, and composting facilities, will
not kill MDRB's, as even though they appear dead, their DNA can still
transfer itself to other life forms.

This is indeed alarming and has had little discussion in keeping our water
supplies and farm lands safe from MDRB.

The following article provides an excellent discussion of this problem and
with the evidence of this problem, we have all the more reason to ban in
the USA, steroids and the over use of antibiotics in our farm animals.

http://www.forester.net/sw_0311_guest_editorial.html

Lowell Prag