Re: E-M:/ water issues

Enviro-Mich message from "Bill Tobler" <williamtobler@critterswoods.org>

Thank you Andrew.  This is good news for Groveland and for others with
similar problems (including me, again).

I was contacted by Mark Shaffer early in the year and had several phone
conversations with him.  He caused a special township board meeting to
be held, at which he gave a lengthy presentation to his board.

I drove up there with a friend and gave a supporting presentation on
our experiences with London Aggregates.  The point was to share that
these problems are happening all over the state because of the lack of
proper MDEQ permitting and enforcement, because of a Legislature that
has refused to act, because of less than desirable quarry operators
that won't follow laws, and because of inept and/or dishonest township
boards.  The point was to share that there is now a proven cause and
effect.  The Groveland Board decided to take the opportunity to defend
their township, and the Oakland Press article now reports a positive
outcome.

Folks in Bridgewater Township are NOW going through their own version
of this process with a Stansley operation.  A citizens' group formed
just 6 weeks ago, and have since learned a great deal about permits (or
no permits), and enforcement (or no enforcement) and so on, by both
state and Washtenaw County.  Hardly a day goes by without their group
discovering another violation affecting quality and quantity of well
water, illegal discharges, unpermitted wetland draining, no soil and
erosion permits, apparent air quality violations and so on.  THIS IS
THE TIME for the Granholm administration to step up to the plate since
Stansley has requested permits to expand onto a new phase.

In my own case, the London Township Board announced a few weeks ago
that they had been working (secretly) for the past 3 years to craft a
new "Agreement" between London Aggregates and the Township to reopen
the quarry as a wetmine.  One of the statements taken in part from this
truly disgusting "Agreement" states:  "WHEREAS, London Township wishes
to ensure WSG will have a long-term ability to operate within London
Township..., THEREFORE, in consideration of the mutual covenants and
agreements, the parties agree as follows:"

The subsequent agreement states many things.  As one example:
"In the event that applicable zoning ordinance standards conflict with
this Agreement, the Agreement shall prevail."

The only benefit to the Township that I could find amounted to $4 per
family per year.

The Board announced that they would vote on this agreement at their
next meeting in December, without holding any Special Land Use Permits,
Site Plan Reviews or any of those other nuisance requirements of law.
Just like was done by the London Board in 1991 when the tragedy was
initiated.

Can you imagine a Township Board and a Township "Attorney" actually
agreeing to something like this, much less working for three years with
the quarry to develop this agreement?  I have been on our township's
(Augusta) Planning Commission since 1980.

Again, the Granholm administration and ALL of the environmentally
concerned groups should rally now to stop this destructive nonsense in
Michigan, now.  An opportunity whose time has come!

---
> Enviro-Mich message from Andrew Mutch <andrewimutch@yahoo.com>
---

> I know that several of you on the list are battling
> with problems of water loss due to gravel mining, etc.
> I thought this article from Oakland County might be of
> interest:
>
> Water returns after pumping operation ends
> http://www.theoaklandpress.com/site/news.cfm?
newsid=10561531&BRD=982&PAG=461&dept_id=467992&rfi=6