E-M:/ FW: Coalition to Promote Michigan Tourism and Business

Coalition to Promote Michigan Tourism and Business

Scenic America and Scenic Michigan invite you to join the "Coalition to Promote Michigan Tourism and Business."  This Coalition has been formed to support legislation sponsored by Senator Thomas George (R-Kalamazoo), which is designed to protect Michigan's scenic beauty, boost its second largest industry, tourism, and make advertising more affordable for businesses.  More specifically, this legislation would: This is important legislation that is urgently needed.  According to MDOT, Michigan has 16,096 active permits and that 1,216 permits have been issued since 2000.  Michigan has 13,838 existing billboards along our expressways, and major highways.

This is important legislation that the public supports.  According to a recent survey (EPIC-MRA, October, 2003) 61 percent of those surveyed would support legislation to ban any new billboards on Michigan highways and expressways, and 76 percent supported expanding the logo sign program to add a fifth logo.

In addition, the bi-partisan Michigan Land Use Council recommended that MDOT develop a billboard management program containing similar elements to those in Senator George's legislation.  Although the legislation is urgently needed, and the citizens of our state and the Michigan Land Use Leadership Council support better management of billboards in Michigan, this legislation will face great opposition by the deep-pockets of the billboard industry.  That is why we need your support!

Please register your support by completing the online form at:  http://www.scenicmichigan.org/campaignsignon.html

Also, please forward this to any organization or individual who cares about the preservation of Michigan's scenic beauty and what this means to our tourist economy.  In addition, please contact your legislators and speak to them directly about the urgency and broad support of Senator George's legislation.

Thank you.

Rick Barber
Scenic Michigan

www.scenicmichigan.org