E-M:/ Nestle water in trouble in New England

Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman1549@yahoo.com>

Below is a good article about contamination in
Nestle's Poland Spring water brand. A year ago, Jewel
Osco grocers in Chicago pulled Ice Mountain from its
shelves because it smelled like fuel oil. That water
came from the overdrawn aquifers in Pennsylvania. It
is because these water sources in PA are depleted
Nestle wants to set up shop in Michigan/ the great
lakes.
Also, Nestle pumping in Florida caused such a drop in
the the water table, salt water influxed into the
aquifer. Now this potential contamination--maybe it
was caused after bottling (if that were the case,
wouldnt the bottle itself reek of the chemical, not
just the water inside?), but if you look at their
track record, you will see that they keep sucking from
water sources until they are contaminated. They then
move on leaving the community with a screwed up
aquifer.
Finally, remember that bottled water is not tested or
controled by the government. It is left up to the
individual company to test and monitor. There is no
independent analysis of the safety of their
operations. Of course they did not find anything wrong
with that particular run of water, if they did, then
they would be admitting guilt and open themselves up
to heavy lawsuits.

Frank

http://www.pressherald.com/business/stories/031206springwater.shtml
> December 6, 2003
>
> Labs seek cause of tainted water
>
> By DAVID HENCH, Portland Press Herald Writer
>
> Paul Pinkham of Bridgton figured it was a severe
bout of stomach flu
> when he became intensely ill Wednesday.
>
> But when he poured himself a glass of water to drink
with his
> lunchtime medication, he discovered the source of
the chemical-like
> odor he was smelling was his gallon jug of Poland
Spring water,
bought
> at the local grocery.
>
> "We were looking for something like pesticide that
the dog had
knocked
> over. The smell was throughout the kitchen," said
Pinkham, who said
he
> feels fully recovered after what turned into a
30-hour ordeal.

> A day earlier, a 4-year-old from Bridgton suffered
cramps and nausea
> after drinking water from a different jug that was
part of the same
> shipment. Now three separate chemical testing labs
are trying to
> identify the contamination and its source while
state health
officials
> search for any additional cases.
>
> A spokeswoman for Nestle Waters, corporate parent of
Poland Spring,
> said there are no signs that contamination occurred
at the plant in
> Hollis where the water from both containers was
bottled on the same
> day.
>
> Records from that day show nothing unusual and
samples drawn that day
> were retested and found to be fine, according to a
company statement.

> At the same time, police and state health officials
say there is no
> indication the bottles were tampered with. One
possibility state
> scientists are looking into is whether a strong
cleaning agent might
> have spilled onto the bottles at some point in their
distribution,
> permeating the walls of the plastic jug.
>
> "At the moment it's a mystery. We don't have any
idea what the
pathway
> was or what the product might be," said Dr. Phil
Haines, deputy
> director of Maine's Bureau of Health.
>
> Jason Ducas, manager of Food City in Bridgton, said
he has removed
all
> the gallon jugs of Poland Spring from the shelves
and replaced them
> with another brand. The company retrieved his
remaining eight cases,
> most of which he said had been bottled in Poland
Spring, and replaced
> it with a different batch.
>
> For a company that bases its reputation on purity,
any whiff of
> contamination is bad news.
>
> Just last month Nestle Waters spent $12 million to
settle a lawsuit
> that alleged the company's spring water was not as
pure as ads
> implied. The company continues to deny allegations
made in that suit:
> that its water is not naturally pure, doesn't come
from from
protected
> sources deep in the woods and isn't spring water
because it comes
from
> wells.
>
> The company said in its statement Friday that
rigorous quality
> controls at its bottling plants show that the two
incidents in
> Bridgton this week are isolated and unrelated to the
bottling
process.

> "Poland Spring Water Company performs quality checks
on its water and
> equipment every hour on every line," the company
said. "Our company
> has reviewed internal data from the date and time of
production of
> these two bottles and finds all quality systems were
intact. This
> preliminarily indicates that the adulteration did
not occur in
> production, but more likely in the distribution or
storage of the
> product, after it left our bottling facility."
>
> The agents the company uses to clean its equipment
do not create the
> odor or taste that was associated with the bottles,
Haines said.

> Whatever was in the water, it's strong stuff, says
Pinkham, who had
> cramps, diarrhea and nausea within 10 minutes of
taking a gulp of
> water from the freshly opened jug.
>
> "I poured a quick glass, my meds were already in my
mouth, so I
> pounded down a mouthful," Pinkham said. He and his
wife Catherine
> smelled the chemical odor, but thought it must be
something else in
> the kitchen.
>
> "I'm so thankful I didn't make coffee and didn't
make a bottle for my