E-M:/ Big Defeat for Bush on Clean Air Act

Big victory for health/environment and defeat for
Bush on Protecting the Clean Air Act.

I'm also proud to say that I was a consultant to
NRDC on this case.....

Alex Sagady
========================

 > AMERICAN LUNG ASSOCIATION * COMMUNITIES FOR A BETTER ENVIRONMENT
EARTHJUSTICE * ENVIRONMENTAL DEFENSE
 > NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL * SIERRA CLUB * U.S. PIRG
 >
 > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
 > CONTACTS: American Lung Association: Diane Maple, 202-785-3355
 > Communities for a Better Environment: Scott Kuhn, 323-826-9771 ext. 108
 > Earthjustice: Keri Powell, 202-667-4500 x 209 or Cat Lazaroff,
202-667-4500 x 213
 > Environmental Defense: Janea Scott, 212-505-2100
 > NRDC: John Walke, 202-425-4633 or Elliott Negin, 202-997-1472
 > Sierra Club: Nat Mund, 202-675-2397 or Brian O> '> Malley, 202-675-6279
 > U.S. PIRG: Zachary Corrigan, 202-276-0159
 >
 > Federal Court Blocks Bush Administration Plan to Cripple Key Clean Air
Act Provision

 > Court to Review Legality of Changes to New Source Review
 >
 > WASHINGTON (December 24, 2003) - A federal court today dealt a major
blow to the Bush administration> '> s plan to gut a key provision of the
Clean Air Act. The U.S. Court of Appeals granted a coalition of
environmental groups> '>  motion to stay implementation of a loophole in
the law> '> s new source review program that would allow thousands of aging
power plants and other industrial facilities to emit more air pollution,
threatening the health of millions of Americans. The court will not lift
the stay unless it ultimately decides the administration> '> s rule change
is legal.

 > "> The administration> '> s rule change would allow industry to renovate
facilities in ways that dramatically increase air pollution without
installing up-to-date pollution controls or even notifying nearby
residents,> ">  said Keri Powell, an attorney at Earthjustice. > "> The
stay will prevent industry from taking advantage of this illegal loophole
while the court challenge is pending.> ">  Earthjustice is representing the
American Lung Association, Communities for a Better Environment,
Environmental Defense, NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council), Sierra
Club and U.S. Public Interest Research Group (U.S. PIRG) in the case.

 > To obtain a stay, the environmental groups had to demonstrate that they
were likely to prevail in their legal challenge to the rule. In addition,
they had to show that their members would suffer irreparable harm if the
court allowed the rules to go into effect. The court rarely grants requests
to stay regulations pending judicial review.

 > If the court had not issued a stay, the new rules would have gone into
effect on December 26 in at least 17 states and territories, including
California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New
York, Nevada and Pennsylvania. Industrial facilities in those states would
have been able to take advantage of the new air pollution loophole
immediately.

 > "> This is a great Christmas gift. The court has delivered tidings of
joy to all Americans and a lump of coal to the Bush administration and its
polluter friends,> ">  said John Walke, director of NRDC> '> s Air Program.

 > The new source review program was designed to curb air pollution from
industrial facilities by requiring them to install up-to-date pollution
controls whenever they made physical or operational changes that increased
air pollution. Many of the nation> '> s older power plants have operated
long beyond their expected lifespan, polluting at excessively high levels,
largely because utilities have rebuilt these grandfathered plants over
time. Often they modified these facilities in ways that increased air
pollution without complying with Clean Air Act requirements to install
modern emissions controls. The Environmental Protection Agency launched
enforcement lawsuits against utility and refinery violators during the
latter part of the Clinton administration for pollution increases that had
resulted in millions of tons of air pollution.

 > The Bush administration is trying to derail these enforcement suits and
eliminate future actions by changing the rules to allow companies to
virtually rebuild their fa> cilities and boost pollution levels without
having to meet new source review program requirements. The loophole created
by the new EPA rule would allow more than 20,000 power plants, refineries
and other industrial facilities to replace existing equipment with > ">
functionally equivalent> ">  equipment without undergoing the clean air
reviews required by the new source review program if the cost of the
replacement does not exceed 20 percent of that of the entire > "> process
unit.> ">  This exemption would apply even if a facility> '> s air
pollution increased by thousands or tens of thousands of tons as a result
of the replacement.

 > "> Today> '> s victory means that hundreds of thousands of children, who
would otherwise have suffered countless asthma attacks because of this
clean air rollback, can now breath more freely,> ">  said Zachary Corrigan,
staff attorney at U.S. PIRG.