Re: E-M:/ Crichton: Environmentalism is religion

On Dec 25, 2003, at 2:56 PM, Tom Stephens wrote:

isn't this
opinion about prehistoric peoples "wiping out hundreds of species of large
animals" voiced by Bray just complete crap, or am I missing something?

Tom,

He is likely correct, in this case, but the facts are not as clear-cut as he states.

Paleo-ecological evidence suggests, yet it is still arguable, that wherever homo sapiens spread mega-fauna collapsed (animals over 100kg). Not just in North America but around the world as we spread out the 'monsters of God", as David Quammen called them, disappeared.

The evidence is not bullet proof, and other factors are also in play in the end of the holocene extinctions, but the case is strong.

It's not that Bray cares at all about evidence or the truth; fear, distrust and hate are his game. But the fact is that homo sapiens are a keystone species and have always been very capable of altering ecological communities which they invade. Altering community structure leads to extinction.

Tim Flynn