Re: E-M:/ Crichton: Environmentalism is religion

Enviro-Mich message from <geodynamics@comcast.net>

I went back and read Crichton's original speech and then read Bray's
distortions of Crichton's distortions. "...immediately set about wiping out
hundreds of species..." Hmmmm, can't you just see the headlines from some
future issue of Paleoentological News or the Pleistocene Press, telling us;
Scientists have recently found a desk and file cabinets on the sunken part
of the land bridge. The desk and records date back some 13,000 to 12,000
years ago when the proto-Indians and Eskimos were trudging to North America
to set-up housekeeping. It appears that each group was given a map and
directions to where they were to settle and a list of the animals they were
to hunt to extinction. Each group was accompanied by a guide who stuck
around long enough to ensure that the new arrivals immediately set about
wiping out their designated species.

Hundreds of species? Well, there were at least some that went extinct during
that period but there's no decipherable record for each species telling us
why. Some theories have been advanced suggesting the newly arrived
foreigners were the cause. Human tools have been found at some sites of
mastodon bones. The theory of man-caused extinction, however, has been
countered by another that suggest the rapid change in climate was a more
probable reason for some, if not all, the extinctions. And there are other
theories, including extolling the migration of disease -- partially in
relationship to climate change (should we read that as "West Nile"?).

In any event, if you're interested in the science-based argument of
extinction, start at;
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/10/011025072315.htm
for an article entitled:
"Blame North America Megafauna Extinction On Climate Change, Not Human
Ancestors"
Source:   University Of Washington
Date:  2001-10-25

then go to
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/06/010608081621.htm
for:
"Humans Hunted Mammals To Extinction In North America"
Source:   University Of California, Santa Barbara
Date:  2001-06-08

(Santa Barbara, Calif.) -- Woolly mammoths, giant armadillos and three
species of camels were among more than 30 mammals that were hunted to
extinction by North American humans 13,000 to 12,000 years ago, according to
the most realistic, sophisticated computer model to date. The news is
reported in the June 8 issue of the journal Science.

John Alroy, a researcher with the National Center for Ecological Analysis
and Synthesis (NCEAS) at the University of California, Santa Barbara,
performed the modeling and is the single author of the paper. NCEAS houses
the best ecosystem computer modeling capacity available, according to Alroy.

"This was a big event in North America," said Alroy. "And, although humans
were responsible for the extinctions, it wasn't clear to them because it
happened over a 1,000 year period. It took so long that they didn't realize
it until it was too late."

"More than half of the large mammal biota of the Americas disappeared in a
cataclysmic extinction wave at the very end of the Pleistocene," begins
Alroy in the Science article. Some of the mammals that became extinct are:

* woolly mammoths
* Columbian mammoths
* American mastodons
* three types of ground sloths
* glyptodonts
* giant armadillos
* several species of horses
* four species of pronghorn antelopes
* three species of camels
* giant deer
* several species of oxen
* giant bison
--------------------------
Then look for:
        Surprising Link Between Body Size And Extinction Risk
        Evidence Acquits Clovis People Of Ancient Killings, Archaeologists
Say

Let me know if you find any viable references to "hundreds of species".

By the way, notwithstanding the apparent gaff, I think Crichton's speech is
worth reading.
See: http://www.crichton-official.com/speeches/speeches_quote05.html

Merry Christmas to all and a Cool Yule to the rest,

-Tim-