Re: E-M:/ Re:Granholm gets mixed reviews

Enviro-Mich message from fred cowles <fecowles@yahoo.com>

 Mr. Abel,

 DEQ Director Steve Chester posted his rationale for
 supporting a stay of the order to cease operation on
 the DEQ website:

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135--83319--,00.html.
 DEQ is not taking sides on the merits of the  issue,
just to allow operation at a reduced rate while the
issue is decided.  There were threats from some in the
legislature to weaken the environmental statutes to
allow continuation, and DEQ felt compelled to
effectively oppose such action.  Much is at stake in
this case.  While 400 gallons per minute at this site
is only a skirmish, the precedents set in resolving
the case will affect water users state-wide quite
profoundly.  DEQ has committed to take a leadership
position in forging the resolution.  At stake are not
only industrial water users like food and beverage
producers, but public water supplies as well.

 ===== Fred Cowles