E-M:/ Power from Water

Folks, got an energy question. . .

Suppose I wanted to begin generating power for my home from a propeller turbine immersed in a stream next to my home. The kind of propeller turbine I am interested in installing is about the size of a submersible pump used in big water gardens.

The stream next to my home is classified as a "drain", like many of our streams in this state (which makes them available for all kinds of pollution discharges),  but does anyone know if there are regulations prohibiting using drains for generating alternative energy? What limitations are there in the Michigan Drain Code for doing this type of thing?