Re: E-M:/ Power from Water

Enviro-Mich message from scl8@daimlerchrysler.com

Mary,

You should check with your local drain commissioner before you make any
modifications to a drain.

Sandi Lopez

                      "Mary La France"
                      <mlafrance@sbcglobal.n        To:       <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
                      et>                           cc:
                      Sent by:                      Subject:  E-M:/ Power from Water
                      owner-enviro-mich@grea
                      t-lakes.net

                      01/10/2004 02:33 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Mary La France"

Folks, got an energy question. . .

Suppose I wanted to begin generating power for my home from a propeller
turbine immersed in a stream next to my home. The kind of propeller turbine
I am interested in installing is about the size of a submersible pump used
in big water gardens.

The stream next to my home is classified as a "drain", like many of our
streams in this state (which makes them available for all kinds of
pollution discharges),  but does anyone know if there are regulations
prohibiting using drains for generating alternative energy? What
limitations are there in the Michigan Drain Code for doing this type of
thing?