Re: E-M:/ Re: Weird Dem-GOP Trash Trip

Just so those on the list are aware of it.....

....down in Ohio there is a "trash-coal-sewage sludge"
connection underway.    A company known as Global
Energy is going to construct an Integrated Gasification
Combined Cycle (IGCC) power plant in Lima OH that
would take so-called "briquettes"     Global Energy
is looking for a place to make the briquettes which would
be made from cheap high sulfur ohio coal, municipal solid
waste and sewage sludge.   The briquetting plant would
be able to take a major portion of the MSW produced in Ohio.

The discussion mentioning a coal/MSW fuel prompts this
comment.  I don't know if there is any connection.....

In an IGCC plant, input fuels are gasified under high temperature
and pressure and then the gas is cleaned and burned in a
gas combustion turbine.

For a comment I wrote about the proposed IGCC plant in Lima OH, see

http://www.sagady.com/workproduct/GlobalEnergyLimaPlant.pdf

At 11:09 AM 01/23/2004, you wrote:

>David,
>
>Based on a press release from the House Republican Caucus, found at:
>
><http://www.gophouse.com/Members/DEROCHE/Releases/Releases/1_22_04_trade_mission.htm>http://www.gophouse.com/Members/DEROCHE/Releases/Releases/1_22_04_trade_mission.htm
>
>the trip to Ontario is much more than about Toronto trash.  The purpose is
>to "meet early this year with key leaders in Canada and discuss trade and
>other topics related to economic development."
>
>Actually, the press release does not mention Toronto trash at all.
>
>And turning trash into coal is just a ridiculous idea.  Sounds like the
>energy crisis has just been solved!  But we need to get everyone to
>generate more trash so we can have enough coal to fire the power
>plants.  Maybe we can have trash-powered cars!  How about a trash-powered
>trip to the moon?  Forget Iraq....maybe we should invade Canada so we can
>get more of their trash to turn into coal!  Halliburton, are you interested?
>
>Sorry, I digress.
>
>Jeff Surfus

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com