From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Link, Terry
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 2:45 PM
To: enviro-mich@superior.great-lakes.net
Subject: FW: Re E-M:/ Re: Why John Kerry . . . Kucinich is the best
candidate for Michig...

To all my environmentally conscious state citizens and friends, let us not
forget that war is perhaps the greatest scourge of the environment, not only
did we scorch the earth in much of Iraq, leave it poisoned, etc. but the
amount of money used to forge violence on the planet is an environmental
catastrophe. In Donella Meadows piece she wrote in 1990 and published in
Whole Earth Review, she shows that if the took 1990 data and collapsed the
world to a village of 1,000 people there would be $3 million budget for
everything. $181,000 of that would go to weapons and warfare. The cost of
the war thus far is $100,000,000,000!!!!!!! That is money that could be
cleaning water, producing energy from renewable resources, paying farmers a
fair living for growing food without pesticides, etc. So while you can have
politicians defending the planet at one level they can be destroying it at
another. This is one huge costly mistake for the environment. Not to mention
the 500+ Americans soldiers who have died, the thousands more seriously
injured, the thousands of Iraqi civilians dead, maimed, left homeless.

While I'll likely support any of them (except Lieberman) vs. Bush, the
environment is connected to the other issues in fundamental ways. If you
read Kucinich's stuff and look at his record, he is clearly more committed
to the worldview I connect with. Too bad the media covers the horse race and
doesn't give equal time to the ideas of the candidates. We don't necessarily
need Kucinich or Dean or Kerry or anyone else, we just need their ideas put
into play. At this stage, I'm voting for Kucinich to get his ideas heard.

Peace,

Terry Link

You can't wring your hands and roll up your sleeves at the same time.