E-M:/ Michigan net metering law for alternative energies?

Greetings,

Does anyone have info on the fate of the net metering bill to
allow selling energy back to the utility companies in Michigan?

Many other states have developed such laws, in order to encourage the use
of photovoltaics, wind power, and other alternative energy sources.

The last info I have on the effort in Michigan is this 2002 Free Press
article: http://www.freep.com/money/business/gsidea7_20020407.htm

Getting this framework established should be a high priority, if Michigan
residents and businesses are to fully utilize alternatives to fossil fuel
generated electricity, as without the net metering provision, the payback
period for installation costs, is greatly increased.

I was previously under the impression that federal law mandated the states
to provide such net metering laws but apparently, that is not the case.

The next question would be: why not? Given the effort of DOE and other
federal energy programs to initiate alternative energy production for home
owners and businesses, i.e: the million solar roof project, etc., it would
seem logical that incentives would be provided uniformly for all states.

Below is an excellent example from California, on how Michigan could
model the implementation of net metering, as California requires that
your alternative energy system be net metered, in order to also qualify
for their substantial rebate program of up to 75% on the cost of the
system!

California's Emerging Renewables Rebate Program
http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/erprebate/index.html

Last, I would be interested to know what effort is being made by the
Michigan chapters of the Sierra Club, etc. to bring such a program to
our state.

Lowell Prag